Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different Door Handles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad too to see a more sane handle for simplicity, reliability, and cost for the model 3... with a manual pull.

Tesla will probably offer up-trim "tech" package with handles you just touch, like the X.

Presenting handles are probably going to stick with the S only, for now, but maybe on it's refresh goes toward touch like the X.

In the video in this thread, anybody else notice granny struggling a bit to get out of the back seat... still no grab assist handles about the door on the inside?? OO-ooh... they need those in a masses car.

I saw those 2 types of handles immediately during the presentation, but I only thought that since they're all alpha releases, there might be slight differences between every car. I think that they did this one first and they didn't have at this time the newly shaped handles, therefore borrowing them from gen 2 Platform to get the show ready.

The non-Tesla looking handles are all that are shown on the official pictures of the Model 3, so it seems that is what they are going to use. Is it certain that they are touch handles like the X?
From what I've seen and been told, the "newer" style handles are like Aston Martin door handles and I believe Jag F-Type as well where the handle is mechanical with the front pivots and the rear pivots out.
2014-jaguar-f-type-v8-s-roadster-door-handle-photo-515967-s-1280x782.jpg

aston-martin-dbs_5-jpg.40385

Did anyone notice the lack of or missing control buttons on the steering wheel? So without steering wheel controls for things like radio volume control and Bluetooth phone answering isn't that a tad unsafe? I wonder if stuff like that will come in an upgrade package.

I've been doing the standard "I'm obsessed with Tesla morning video consumption" and I noticed something from the reveal. When the Model 3s were revealed on the stage, one of the them had door handles that looked just like the Model S (the one on the far left of the stage, matte finish). The other two (center and right) had door handles that showed off a new shape.

This image captures both versions:
img_6990-png.169931

I wonder if one will prevail or if both will be options?
I noticed that as well. Does that distinguish the base from the upper models?

Guys, you need to remember, this is still a beta car, not full production final version. a lot of changes are coming. I went to the event and talked to them.

The handle differences, the one that looked like the S was an earlier beta car so they used the S handles.

The champagne car, the one I test drove, has the newer update. Still not 100% final. Interior is close but not finished.

As shown in the videos, the Model S looking handles were manual handles that you press and they pop open to reveal a handle. Contrary to what was stated above, the handles do retract a few seconds later.

In a different video that is on the Electrek site, the newer handles were buttons like the X.

I personally like both, and would expect either just the newer version (button press), or both versions as part of different packages.

Oops, I was wrong. My bad. I'll have to go look at what video I saw that made it appear like the newer handles were buttons, but above clearly shows the newer handles being mechanical swing handles. Great find.

Everybody keeps showing how the S style handle works. However, no press picture of the Model 3 shows that handle. It's pretty clear that was just an older prototype and the L shaped handle is the real one (I believe somebody said as much during a test drive). However, it appears to work similarly?

It looks like the door unlatched with just a press, no pull of handle

Yes, although the person on the left is opening the door much more awkwardly. I would imagine that in real world usage, most people would use a thumb to pivot out the handle, then pull further outwards to fully unlatch the door. The person on the right is more representative of a real world scenario.