Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different driver profiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The app on both phones will be the same. Set each phone as a key; one for each of you and set profiles in the car against your phones. Ours work OK. When I get in, I enter the number in pin to drive (be sure to set one up), put my foot on the brake and everything adjusts to me. Same for my wife.
Hi dilly,
"When I get in, I enter the number in pin to drive"
what does this mean?I haven't come across something that requires a pin

If you have access to manage the car on your Tesla account (not a lease?), you can grant access to the car to another account. My wife has her own Tesla account and I granted her access from my account. Means she won’t get left high and dry if her phone logs her out as she can sign straight back in.
Actually it is a lease Cardo, does that change things?

Hi dilly,
"When I get in, I enter the number in pin to drive"
what does this mean?I haven't come across something that requires a pin
1622136508784.png

• Informative
Reactions: Puzuk and Dilly
bit of a bump sorry - so my wife is much shorter than me, but will only drive occasionally. Sounds like this might work:

- I have my key assigned to a profile. So it’ll bring up all my settings if it picks my phone first.
- I define ‘easy access’ profile as basically a copy of my settings.
- set my wife’s phone up with the app with my login details. set it up as a key in the car but don’t assign a profile. (can I assign easy entry though for when she gets out?)

hopeful behaviour:
- if I drive on my own it’ll always pick up my key and move things correctly
- if my wife drives on her own she’ll get in with the car still set to my settings so she has lots of space, will select her profile which will then adjust for her. When getting out it’ll switch to easy entry so hopefully next time I drive it’ll take no time to adjust
- if we are together, no risk of it picking her phone up by mistake as it has no active profile assigned. (if we’re together I’ll pretty much always be driving)

When I get in, I enter the number in pin to drive (be sure to set one up), put my foot on the brake and everything adjusts to me. Same for my wife.
I saw this comment yesterday & never realised that the same process works for a wife!

...nope, tried the pin, foot on brake and then looked left but nothing had adjusted for me, not even after 41 years of hoping.

Oh that life were that perfect.

Reactions: Skenno
The app on both phones will be the same. Set each phone as a key; one for each of you and set profiles in the car against your phones. Ours work OK. When I get in, I enter the number in pin to drive (be sure to set one up), put my foot on the brake and everything adjusts to me. Same for my wife.

is it a global pin? Would be nice if you could have separate PINs for each driver profile so even if it detects both phones, or the wrong one first - the pin can be used to set the correct profile. So it’d be saying ‘here is my PIN and I am person X’

bit of a bump sorry - so my wife is much shorter than me, but will only drive occasionally. Sounds like this might work:

- I have my key assigned to a profile. So it’ll bring up all my settings if it picks my phone first.
- I define ‘easy access’ profile as basically a copy of my settings.
- set my wife’s phone up with the app with my login details. set it up as a key in the car but don’t assign a profile. (can I assign easy entry though for when she gets out?)

hopeful behaviour:
- if I drive on my own it’ll always pick up my key and move things correctly
- if my wife drives on her own she’ll get in with the car still set to my settings so she has lots of space, will select her profile which will then adjust for her. When getting out it’ll switch to easy entry so hopefully next time I drive it’ll take no time to adjust
- if we are together, no risk of it picking her phone up by mistake as it has no active profile assigned. (if we’re together I’ll pretty much always be driving)

ok that didn't exactly work. Took my wife out for a familiarity drive on Saturday, set everything up in her profile but didn't assign her key to her profile (so she needs to select her name when she gets into the car). That all worked fine. Then we drove home. When she took off her seatbelt it triggered easy access which pushed the seat back (basically my profile settings so its ready for me next time).

30 mins later we went out again, this time me driving. We both get in, and as soon as I buckle up the car proceeds to crush me against the windscreen - much to my wife's amusement :) I guess it picked up her phone and therefore didn't switch to her profile, but *also* didn't switch to my profile (because it didn't pick up my phone).

Back to the drawing board. Maybe if I set her key to my profile, then the seat will stay put regardless whose phone is detected. And she can select her profile manually as before?

Or just not set a profile to a key? Then you just select the relevant profile from the screen if its different to what is needed.

Thats what we did for hers. But mine has my profile. But it seems like if it picks up her key first it'll then ignore mine - so it keeps the last selected profile (which was hers and she's 4ft 10 and I'm 6ft so it scrumpled me up into a ball). I'd need to quickly pick my profile while my arms can still work.

Putting my profile on both our keys will mean the seat is always ready for me (90% of driving) and the same as easy access position for her - then she presses her profile to adjust for her when she is driving. I think that should work but a bit of a faff.

....she's 4ft 10 and I'm 6ft....Putting my profile on both our keys will mean the seat is always ready for me (90% of driving) and the same as easy access position for her - then she presses her profile to adjust for her when she is driving. I think that should work but a bit of a faff.
There is another option....

boots.jpeg

(....or another but that may require two sets of lawyers)

FWIW we've set up a very comfortable 'easy entry', a profile each linked to each phone 'key' and PIN to Drive. Yes, very occasionally if I'm in the car with the good lady doctor, and in the driver's seat, it tries to impale me on the steering wheel, so I have to hit 'STOP' PDQ. It's early days - we've only had the car for four days! - but I'm trying to remember to select my profile BEFORE hitting the brake pedal/entering the PIN and then everything is fine. ;-) It's a good habit to try to get into.

I would like to lock my teenager’s profile to limit acceleration and top speed. I could put it in valet, but then he cant do other things like open the garage door via the home link, etc. I assume the guest profile is also open to edit by the driver.