Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different Odometer Readings on the Brand New Tesla cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the different odometer readings people are seeing on their brand new delivered Tesla these days?

Mine was delivered recently with 25 miles on it which was supposed to be a brand new inventory vehicle (i.e. brand new custom build order from some other customer which he cancelled later on, as claimed by Tesla sales executives). They told me it is brand new, not a display/demo or test drive vehicle and no customer has driven it yet (hence no discount) but looking at the vehicle condition post delivery (both inside/outside, few chips on the bonet/bumber, paint coming off some places, some scratches and swirl marks on the body, also 'ultra' missing from the ultra white seats which means I didn't find the seats superclean and superwhite and some spots/scratches in the interior) it forces me to think this has been driven for sure by someone for few miles either test drive or for some other purposes which doesn't leave it in 'brand new' category.

My view is Tesla should be transparent in informing its potential customers about the condition of the car (if it is way off than the condition of a brand new car) and offer some discount if it can't be classed as brand new.

Anyone has faced similar situation in the recent past? Are there Tesla brand new cars delivered as brand new and still having 25+ (but less than 50) miles on it?
I am loving my car but slightly disappointed with the condition it is delivered in. Any feedback is appreciated.

TBH the condition you describe is not dissimilar to many new cars they supply. The paint finish can often be lacking and chips,swirls etc not uncommon. Normally if you point them out Tesla will take the car in and get them sorted. The PDI is often lacking and has long been a bone of contention with new owners.

The miles is still within the 50, has the autopilot radar/camera calibrated ok? Maybe they took it out for a few miles to get that set up for you.

Reactions: gabeincal
TBH the condition you describe is not dissimilar to many new cars they supply. The paint finish can often be lacking and chips,swirls etc not uncommon. Normally if you point them out Tesla will take the car in and get them sorted. The PDI is often lacking and has long been a bone of contention with new owners.

The miles is still within the 50, has the autopilot radar/camera calibrated ok? Maybe they took it out for a few miles to get that set up for you.

Thanks for your response, its a shame if it is a common thing with such an expensive car, though would be good to know the experience from other owners too!! They should sort out these minor things before the delivery at their service centre with a good detailer, otherwise not sure why they needed 2 weeks of prep time after booking even though the car was already in London.

will get these issues sorted with the service centre but am still looking for ways to know if the car was used for demo for a short period of time (may be for few weeks, after the previous customer cancellation and before me booking it). I specifically asked at the time of booking and they confirmed no one has driven it since it landed in UK (directly from their factory in US I believe).

Haven't driven much yet (added around 100 miles only), waiting for the weekend, but till now the autopilot/camera seem to be working correctly, probably it is too early to comment on these features.

The cars are delivered to Holland and reassembled at the Tesla factory in Tilburg (this avoids EU import tax) prior to being shipped to the U.K. It's possible the car was delivered to one service centre and has then been driven to another rather than being on a transporter. I'm not sure how you could ever find out for sure.

I totally agree about the handover and pre delivery process, it is not up to the standard of others but most of us soon forget it once we get the car right and the Tesla grin appears! They do need to make improvements in this area though before the Model 3 hits the U.K.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The cars are delivered to Holland and reassembled at the Tesla factory in Tilburg (this avoids EU import tax) prior to being shipped to the U.K. It's possible the car was delivered to one service centre and has then been driven to another rather than being on a transporter. I'm not sure how you could ever find out for sure.

I totally agree about the handover and pre delivery process, it is not up to the standard of others but most of us soon forget it once we get the car right and the Tesla grin appears! They do need to make improvements in this area though before the Model 3 hits the U.K.

yeah, you are right, if they need to capture the mass, they should start paying attention to these little things before model 3 comes out