Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different Phone for Better Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 30% of the time, my car has trouble recognizing my phone (won't unlock or won't let me drive). I sometimes have to turn airplane mode on then off. Other times I just wait a minute or so.

It's the same for my wife. We both have el cheapo Tracfone Samsung Galaxy J7 Skypros, which work fine for our modest use.

Question: If I were to buy a different model, would this problem likely go away? Specifically, here the the Tracfone models I could buy—if you have one of these, please let me know about your experience with the car/phone interface. Thanks.

Galaxy A21
Galaxy A51
MOTO G Stylus (XT2115DL)
MOTO G Power (XT2041DL)
MOTO G7 Optimo (XT1955DL)

I think you need to isolate the problem between your car and your phone Bluetooth problem.

If you have problem with the car Bluetooth, a new phone will not solve the problem.

Do you have problem pairing your phones with your car, or is it your car not able to detect your phones after pairing?

I think you need to isolate the problem between your car and your phone Bluetooth problem.

If you have problem with the car Bluetooth, a new phone will not solve the problem.

Do you have problem pairing your phones with your car, or is it your car not able to detect your phones after pairing?
Good point.

Here's why I don't think it's the car: Wife and I will be in the car, and sometimes it will recognize one phone and not the other.

They are paired fine and usually work with no problems.

Here's a tip when using the phone as a key, and unlocking the door (when it doesn't immediately unlock): Instead of trying, swearing, and trying again, push the door handle in and hold it. Very often, it just takes a few seconds, and if you hold it in, it will unlock as soon as it's wakened.

Also, looking at related threads, often people think they've found the solution (e.g. I need to have my phone unlocked!* I need to have the app running!*), but in reality, there's so much variability that one is fooled into thinking you've cracked the code. I fell into that trap once, reporting here that when the car won't wake up, all you need to do is lock and unlock it, and it will connect. Turned out that was just chance.

*Neither of those are true.

I have found the best way to improve the reliability of the phone being recognized (after you've taken the usual measures to prevent the app from going to sleep in the phone) is to be holding the phone in your hand as you approach the car. I really only have problems when I fail to take the phone out of my pocket. And if the phone is in one's back pocket, the problem is even worse. I think the BLE signal is just not strong enough to make it through heavy clothing, and certainly not through the human body when it's between the phone and the car.

I have the same problem with my Samsung galaxy S9. The problem can occur when I get in the unlocked car and it doesn't recognize my phone. But the Bluetooth works great playing audio.

A friend of mine with a 2019 model 3 never has this problem. He has an iPhone.

A Tesla mechanic mentioned that there are 2 Bluetooth antennas in the car. One is just for the unlock mechanism.

The card always works good. So its not dead. But I suspect a driver problem in either the car or the phone.