Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different Plaid X Seen at Fremont Factory 7/26/21; brief S and X Product Manager chat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Tesla Model X Plaid Walkaround and Peek Inside at Fremont Factory

I saw a Plaid Model X charging at the Fremont Factory Store on July 26, 2021. I took half a walkaround video including peering inside before the "owner" returned. He told me he's in product marketing. We chatted about Model X, me telling him I leased one of the earliest P 90D's in March 2016 and cannot wait for the new X. He asked if I have an X reservation, then asked if I'm going to buy a Model S Plaid for now. I told him my wife likes to sit up higher so no. (We are debating between Model X Long Range or Tesla Cybertruck Tri-Motor for our next utility vehicle).

I asked if the X will be available soon? He said "soon" and smiled. Then he said, "I'm the Model S and Model X Program Manager so I should know." I think he means this classic @elonmusk definition of "soon":

"in a prompt manner: SPEEDILY as soon as possible the sooner the better".

I was at the store because my white 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor was broadsided by a white 2021 Q2 Model 3 Standard Range Plus on Saturday, July 24 in Fremont ~3 miles from the factory. Its driver ran a red light at high speed on Grimmer Blvd. 2021 White Tesla Model 3 Runs Red Light Hits My 2018 White Model 3 in Fremont, CA - No Injuries. Driver's first three statements to me were:
  1. Are you okay? (yes)
  2. I'm so sorry. (accidents happen)
  3. I thought my car was supposed to stop itself! (I wondered if I was meeting a future Darwin Award winner :)
Later he told me he doesn't have Autopilot and in response to my query, did not hit the horn after the accident (like I did) to record it. Yesterday, I was trying to buy a Model Y that somebody canceled because I don't want to have to drive a dumb gas rental car during the repairs, and I plan to gift my Model 3 to a family member in 2022 anyway. Tesla insures the driver that ran the red light. I will try other means to see if I can get a Y without waiting until November.

Video and commentary © 2021 by Real Advantage Corporation. [email protected]

Thanks for the vid. Wish we could have gotten a view of the exterior with the bigger 22” wheels. The other mules seem to have the base silver wheels. Would also have been nice to get a feel for overall exterior build quality. If you happen to have any photos could you post?

From the vid it is hard to tell if it has double pane glass, almost seems single pane. And also seems like no major change in the 7 seat configuration (what my 2017 x is). I was hoping they would update the second row with a 40/40/20 configuration.

But thanks again!

Reactions: engle
Here are the photos captured before the product mgr returned. Sorry for the delay! I'm busy and now have been dealing with insurance for my Model 3 that was red-light-broadsided by another Model 3 in Fremont (where else?) on 7/24.

I noticed at the place where the windows close there is what feels like felt on the inside I think for noise-deadening. Does the Plaid S have that? The windows are dark and it was very bright so the photo quality of interior shots is poor. After examining one in person, and comparing it to my limited-edition 1:10 CyberTruck, realizing I can probably get the X long before a tri-motor CT due to my late reservation, I am making a reservation for a new X. Now I'm debating between Plaid and Long Range. I noticed the price delta for X Plaid ($120K - $95K = $25K or +26%) is *much* less than S Plaid ($130K - $85K = $45K +53%!) percentage-wise and don't understand why? Does anyone know? Is it because Model S Plaid is the "halo car" fastest ever? The Plaid hardware upgrade seems to be the same in both.

My preference is X Plaid: 340 mi Range (if you drive like grandma ;)); 2.5s 0-60; 9.9s 1/4; and 1,020hp peak power. Notice how they got the numbers just under 10 seconds and over 1,000 hp for psychological marketing. (I had an early March, 2016 X P90D and it was a blast to drive). However, my wife doesn't like riding in a rollercoaster, :eek: and most of our driving is together. I checked yesterday for Fremont delivery it said Jan-Feb. Today it is Feb-March! If I can't make up my mind I shall order one of each since it is only $100 "liquidated damages".

22" Turbine Wheels: $5,000 option. Range (EPA est.): 330mi. Top Speed: 163mph (on the track or the Autobahn I hope!) 20" is 340 EPA range est. Notice brake calipers are black, not painted red.

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

no manufacturer plate:
IMG_3386.JPG

guy in reflection is another owner not product manager:
IMG_3388.JPG

that's me:
IMG_3387.JPG

interesting superimposition blend the real photo not photoshopped!
IMG_3389.JPG

Here are the photos captured before the product mgr returned. Sorry for the delay! I'm busy and now have been dealing with insurance for my Model 3 that was red-light-broadsided by another Model 3 in Fremont (where else?) on 7/24.

I noticed at the place where the windows close there is what feels like felt on the inside I think for noise-deadening. Does the Plaid S have that? The windows are dark and it was very bright so the photo quality of interior shots is poor. After examining one in person, and comparing it to my limited-edition 1:10 CyberTruck, realizing I can probably get the X long before a tri-motor CT due to my late reservation, I am making a reservation for a new X. Now I'm debating between Plaid and Long Range. I noticed the price delta for X Plaid ($120K - $95K = $25K or +26%) is *much* less than S Plaid ($130K - $85K = $45K +53%!) percentage-wise and don't understand why? Does anyone know? Is it because Model S Plaid is the "halo car" fastest ever? The Plaid hardware upgrade seems to be the same in both.

My preference is X Plaid: 340 mi Range (if you drive like grandma ;)); 2.5s 0-60; 9.9s 1/4; and 1,020hp peak power. Notice how they got the numbers just under 10 seconds and over 1,000 hp for psychological marketing. (I had an early March, 2016 X P90D and it was a blast to drive). However, my wife doesn't like riding in a rollercoaster, :eek: and most of our driving is together. I checked yesterday for Fremont delivery it said Jan-Feb. Today it is Feb-March! If I can't make up my mind I shall order one of each since it is only $100 "liquidated damages".

22" Turbine Wheels: $5,000 option. Range (EPA est.): 330mi. Top Speed: 163mph (on the track or the Autobahn I hope!) 20" is 340 EPA range est. Notice brake calipers are black, not painted red.

View attachment 689614

View attachment 689615
no manufacturer plate:
View attachment 689616
guy in reflection is another owner not product manager:
View attachment 689617
that's me:
View attachment 689619
interesting superimposition blend the real photo not photoshopped!
View attachment 689620
Awesome thanks so much!