TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Different seat back range of motion between driver and passenger?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by icefree, Jul 18, 2018.

1. icefree

icefree Member

Is there a different range of seat back range of motion between the driver and passenger seat? (2016 Model S, next gen seats)
    I've found that my passenger seat back can tilt forward enough until it is beyond 90 degrees with the seat bottom (~80 degrees). But my drivers seat won't go past, say, 100 degrees in relationship to the seat bottom. I don't know if this is a new problem with my seat, or if it has always been that way. I suspect it's a problem with my driver's seat, but want to see if others have the same behavior.

2. icefree

icefree Member

Here's a picture of my seats with both seat backs rotated fully forward. I'm guessing this isn't normal... IMG_7253.jpg
    IMG_7254.jpg

3. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

That’s not normal. My drivers seat can pin me against the steering wheel when it’s all the way forward.

4. Ande

Ande Member

#4 Ande, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Sounds reasonable.
    Both have about the same space between headrest, and the explosive device called airbag.

On the other hand, I think mine can go more vertical.

5. icefree

icefree Member

Thanks. Yes, I suspected there was a problem. I thought it always moved further forward. I'll see if there might be something blocking or jamming the sensor, otherwise it's off to the SC I go (or maybe I can get a mobile tech to come out again, hmm).

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Just a thought for further testing... If you slide the driver's seat all the way back, does it still restrict how far forward the seat-back will go forward?

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

I doubt it makes any difference, but those are the premium seats, not next gen seats. I missed out on those by a few days in December 2016.