Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different TAPTES Wireless Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p
I've read that the Gen 2 has a third coil to better support horizontal charging, but not sure of this, as the other one seems to support this as well.

The Gen 2 also has the little "feet" on the back which fits the tray better. I just bought the Gen 1 and it's flat on the back but comes with sticky tape. Hopefully it doesn't rattle around... Didn't want to deal with unreliable overseas shipping as the Gen 1 was available via Amazon

I'm a bit annoyed that the 15W is a Gen3 with no indication of that on the description. I literally ordered the Gen2 the other day, assuming it was the latest, especially given the Gen2 is more expensive than the 15W!

Here's the reply I received from TAPTES (models in brackets are my additions):

"The first one (GEN 3) supports fast charging. As it is 15W, it is ideal foe big -sized phones. The second one (GEN 2) supports type-C wired charging. Enables both wireless and wired charging in case your passenger's phone doesn't support wireless charging. That's the 2 difference between the two charging pad."

I agree that they don't make it clear on their site that the 15W model is the latest version.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I ran a wire up from my armrest for full power.

Charging speed on my iPhone seems to be highly dependent upon placement on the pad for my Gen 2 version.

It seems if it is upright it'll charge really, really slow. Putting it on the bottom horizontally will sometimes charge slow and sometimes charge decently quick, enough to make the phone warm.

All in, I don't think it was worth it to run a wire up for the wireless charger to use. But now I've got a 5-port 10 watt hub for various devices up in the front cubby, so that is nice.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
wireless charging is very inefficient. if the phone is not directly over the coil you will not get the top speed from the charger. misalignment of the phone over the coil will cause excessive heat. if you have the gen 2 taptes with the 3 coils , laying it horizontally will put it over more coils and thus you may see better chargin' speeds than just usin' one side or the other.