Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different tires and wheels? Lower profile? Wider? Taller?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I like the "gunmetal" better too. Possibly not everyone's first choice though. Recall how people thought gray wheels on a gray roadster looked "dirty" somehow. Maybe a slightly reflective finish works better though. I think that other gray roadster had matte (flat) finish paint on the wheels, unlike this new one which seems shiny/glossy.

Its been a while since this thread has been visited.

Has anyone come across a 5 hole wheel replacement for the Roadster. Sector 111 told me they would make a special run if we had enough buyers interested.

My purpose would be a set of wheels for track use.

The Roadster uses very high performance tires. Considering the wear rating for the tires used, the mileage is what is expected from those tires. You have to remember this is a sports car, and one with an extreme amount of power. To handle that power, very sticky tires are needed. That's why the Sport model comes with R-compound tires, usually only used by racers and autocrossers. The Yoko A048 tires have a wear rating of 60, compared to a wear rating of 300 or higher for the "current car tires" you're comparing to. A shallower tread depth is also needed to avoid chunks of rubber coming off when you accelerate with that soft rubber. What you end up with is the performance you need for the car, but only 5000 miles of life on the tire (for the Sport), and 10,000 miles of life (for the non-Sport).

You can use harder compound tires, and get longer life, but performance will suffer significantly, and you'll have the traction control light come on almost continuously if you floor the car while accelerating, even in perfect, dry conditions.

Last edited:
Since I will be using the car daily, and not racing, I'd perfer a tire with much longer life and not too concerned with jack rabbit start performance, unless it comprimises the range/charge or significantly impairs handling. Thoughts??