Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different Year Auto Pilots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I just put a deposit on a 2015 P90D with auto pilot as an upgrade to my previous 2013 P85. I am wondering if the 2014, 2015, and 2016 are all the same auto pilot hardware or is there anything I should know before pursuing the car specifically for the autopilot. For about $15,000 more I can get a 2017 100D with enhanced auto pilot but am sacrificing the range for Ludicrous. Not sure if this is the wisest decision but I think I will love the ludicrous.

AP1 is different hardware from AP2 and 2.5. The difference between 2 and 2.5 is just a faster processor that isn't used (yet) but the difference between AP1 and AP2 is significant as far as hardware goes. AP1 will probably never be fully self drive capable, AP2 introduced the 4 side cameras and 2 more front cameras, which adds a significantly larger area for the car to "see" - though not all cameras are on yet more were enabled recently.

Functional differences between AP1 and AP2 capability are not noticeable yet for the most part, but they will likely diverge with updates over time.

Something to keep in mind if you're looking at buying specifically for autopilot.