Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficult Dashcam Installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would just use a wire stripped and take some insulation off whatever 12v wire is going to that dome light. I assume it would have a constant as you can manually turn the light on by pressing it.

It’s probably a bit more complex since on my X you can’t leave the lights on when you exit the car...they turn off. And also in the video you saw he can also turn on and off the dome lights from the touchscreen

• Informative
Reactions: hockeythug
It’s probably a bit more complex since on my X you can’t leave the lights on when you exit the car...they turn off. And also in the video you saw he can also turn on and off the dome lights from the touchscreen

Oh ok. I didn't know that they turn off on the S and X. I did see that about touchscreen control but thought the manual override would always be available. Worst case there is gonna be a relay somewhere you will be able to tap.

I recommend you go back and look again for the OBD II port. Its required by the feds and has been since the 90's. No the Tesla's don't need it/use it the same way. But they have gone to pains to put it on the S and X, and we would have heard about it in the news if it was not going to be on the 3. That doesn't mean it has to be easy to get to, but I believe from past experiences that its there. I recommend you look again. And Post a separate thread to get the attention this deserves to find it. Ask others here on TMC to help you find it. They will. Put in the title that you are looking for the OBD II port on a 3 or an alternative 12V source.

There was a reference to the OBD NOT being required for BEV’s. Someone posted an EPA document. This maybe why the S and X ports are mostly useless (or that exemption was after the cars were designed, I didn’t see the date on the document). But both the post and Trevor clearly stated that. No OBD needed!

He also thought there would be power in the upper area like popular in the S dash cam installs. Have to see if there’s any extra power (like the extra alarm power we can use, left over from unused EU installs).

(Always wondered: where is this power on the X?)

I had Calibred Customs (who did my X install) come out for my 3 install today...I was there first 3 customer (they are traveling to the Bay Area tomorrow for additional installs).

I will have a full write up + video + pics soon but here is a summary:

- The install is more difficult than the X and S.
- They said everything is much better put together compared to the S and X.
- They did a super-clean job.

View attachment 270888

But unfortunately the power source we used (passenger footwell area) shuts down the power to the car within 3 minutes
View attachment 270889

Any tips on alternative power sources? I am gonna have them comeback and fix this.

We weren't able to open-up the compartment for hazard lights.

Where did they installed the rear camera? Got a pic?

Will share a better pic...but here is what I got.

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 11.38.56 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I recommend you go back and look again for the OBD II port. Its required by the feds and has been since the 90's. No the Tesla's don't need it/use it the same way. But they have gone to pains to put it on the S and X, and we would have heard about it in the news if it was not going to be on the 3. That doesn't mean it has to be easy to get to, but I believe from past experiences that its there. I recommend you look again. And Post a separate thread to get the attention this deserves to find it. Ask others here on TMC to help you find it. They will. Put in the title that you are looking for the OBD II port on a 3 or an alternative 12V source.

People keep saying this, but I’m not so sure it’s true. This document definitely says that fuel cell vehicles aren’t required to have an obd port because they are zero emitting. I assume the same is true of EVs.

Document Display | NEPIS | US EPA

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
I had Calibred Customs (who did my X install) come out for my 3 install today...I was there first 3 customer (they are traveling to the Bay Area tomorrow for additional installs).

I will have a full write up + video + pics soon but here is a summary:

- The install is more difficult than the X and S.
- They said everything is much better put together compared to the S and X.
- They did a super-clean job.

View attachment 270888

But unfortunately the power source we used (passenger footwell area) shuts down the power to the car within 3 minutes
View attachment 270889

Any tips on alternative power sources? I am gonna have them comeback and fix this.

We weren't able to open-up the compartment for hazard lights.

Interesting. Wonder if a fuse tap could be used. Anyone found the fuse box yet?