TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Difficult to steal a Tesla...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by KerryOH, Aug 11, 2018.

1. KerryOH

KerryOH Member

2. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

It depends what you mean by steal.

Amateur thieves, joyriders and such haven't been that successful.

Professional thieves looking to move cars/parts into eastern Europe are a different situation.

As demand for parts from non-Tesla sources increase, people should be mindful of where they buy parts. Legitimate salvage tear-downs are out there, but the other source is organized crime.

3. Mrcook4590

Mrcook4590 Member

Interesting. I do wonder how safe it's going to be in the future going to charge at a supercharger. I know my car can be tracked, and I would imagine the Tesla people would be able to slow or stop the car once stolen.

4. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

There are quite a few people in Europe who would disagree that it's hard to steal a Tesla (to be fair, most of those stolen have been MS).

5. DoctorVenkman

DoctorVenkman Member

#5 DoctorVenkman, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    You'll never see your car again if a professional thief gets it.

First they sever the battery connection so none of the electronics work, then load it on to a tow truck. From there it gets sent to a chop shop to get cut up into parts.

It only takes 5-10 minutes and to a bystander would look like a normal tow job. I would imagine if the thieves dressed up like mechanics and acted the part no one would stop them from taking your car even in broad daylight.

• Like x 1
  6. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Some big time sensationalism going on with that article title. Steal and keep without being caught? Sure, probably hard to do, but they can definitely be stolen.

7. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

It's easier than that if the car has passive entry enabled.