Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficult to steal a Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends what you mean by steal.

Amateur thieves, joyriders and such haven't been that successful.

Professional thieves looking to move cars/parts into eastern Europe are a different situation.

As demand for parts from non-Tesla sources increase, people should be mindful of where they buy parts. Legitimate salvage tear-downs are out there, but the other source is organized crime.

Interesting. I do wonder how safe it's going to be in the future going to charge at a supercharger. I know my car can be tracked, and I would imagine the Tesla people would be able to slow or stop the car once stolen.

You'll never see your car again if a professional thief gets it.

First they sever the battery connection so none of the electronics work, then load it on to a tow truck. From there it gets sent to a chop shop to get cut up into parts.

It only takes 5-10 minutes and to a bystander would look like a normal tow job. I would imagine if the thieves dressed up like mechanics and acted the part no one would stop them from taking your car even in broad daylight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kacey Green
You'll never see your car again if a professional thief gets it.

First they sever the battery connection so none of the electronics work, then load it on to a tow truck. From there it gets sent to a chop shop to get cut up into parts.

It only takes 5-10 minutes and to a bystander would look like a normal tow job. I would imagine if the thieves dressed up like mechanics and acted the part no one would stop them from taking your car even in broad daylight.

It's easier than that if the car has passive entry enabled.