Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficulty accessing TMC via Bigpond ADSL in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

If I try to bring up teslamotorsclub via my home broadband either using my iPhone or laptop I get "server not responding" or "can't establish a secure connection to server" messages.

It only seems to be the TMC website that is having the issue, I have tried other US and local websites and no issue.

If I use the same devices via mobile broadband - no problem connecting.

It's never been an issue before and I haven't changed any settings that I know of.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

Hi all,

If I try to bring up teslamotorsclub via my home broadband either using my iPhone or laptop I get "server not responding" or "can't establish a secure connection to server" messages.

It only seems to be the TMC website that is having the issue, I have tried other US and local websites and no issue.

If I use the same devices via mobile broadband - no problem connecting.

It's never been an issue before and I haven't changed any settings that I know of.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

Just a random thought, do you have any problems accessing Google?

I note that teslamotorsclub.com has an IPv6 address, and Telstra has recently started supporting IPv6 on BigPond. If, for any possible number of reasons, you are are getting IPv6 support enabled, but it is broken, then this might be an explanation. You don't need IPv6 support, and everything should work fine on IPv4, but if your computer thinks IPv6 is available and it isn't - or it is broken, this could be a problem.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/hw_feature_242

However, I would have expected you should have problems accessing Google too, as Google also supports IPv6 by default.

A good way to checkout would be to visit the following websites:

Test your IPv6. - should automatically test your system and say if it finds anything broken. Again, lack of IPv6 is not a problem, but broken IPv6 support is a problem.

http://ipv6.whatismyv6.com/ - should fail immediately if IPv6 is not supported, if it takes some time and then errors out then your computer was trying to connect using IPv6 but failed.

What is my IPv6 Address? - Should fall back to IPv4 if IPv6 not available.

Have tried the IPv6 tests and it shows it as not supported.

Have no problems accessing Google or other sites.

Have tried resetting DNS servers and clearing the DNS cache, but still no luck. If I can bring myself to waste many hours I will have to give India a call....

No issues here, could someone at home have setup a filter to block your access? Maybe you are talking too much Tesla and not paying enough attention to someone ;-) I know my wife is close to killing me as I have been talking about Tesla/EV's since before we got married over 10 years ago.

Reactions: Homer
This sort of problem is usually a routing/DNS issue from the IP address that Telstra assigned you to a given server/s. You can confirm it through ping testing.

Provided you're not using a static IP then restarting the modem will eventually fix it when you get assigned a different IP address that isn't being blocked.

Saw this a few times back in my time working there in particular with the Racing Victoria website. Getting anyone there to actually deal with it is nigh on impossible even back in the day when everything was still on-shore.

If you are on a static IP then one other (not ideal) option is going through a Proxy server.

Alternatively, you could just change to a better provider ;-)