Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficulty deciding - Andersen or Zappi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excluding budgetary arguments (which probably aren’t genuine if you can afford a Tesla), I don’t understand the “why would you spend any more than necessary” chat from people advising the ‘ugly black blob with tentacles’ chargers.

How long is an EV charger going to be on your house. Assuming you wouldn’t be getting one fitted unless you’re a permanent resident...a long time.

I’ll take functions being a good reason to go for a different type but they’d have to be VERY good functions to beat the aesthetics superiority of an Andersen A2.

2148D877-865B-4216-961B-573CC2C6B584.jpeg
84B6D837-BEFD-4D37-B19A-F4F511EC490C.jpeg

Depends entirely on where the thing is positioned. Both of mine are hidden from view. Neither are mounted on the house. Doesn't matter what they look like if the unit isn't on display, really.

My situation isn't unusual. I've probably seen around a couple of dozen charge point installations now, and most of them are either completely, or partially, hidden from view. Off hand, I can't recall one that was mounted on the front elevation of a house or garage, either.

It's good that there's a choice, so that for those that want to have a unit on public display they can choose one that suits the location. For many, though, it really doesn't matter a jot what the thing looks like. It's like worrying about the appearance of a hose reel, outside tap etc fitted somewhere where few will ever see it.

Reactions: CMc1
Those chargers look SO cool. Unfortunately, in France there is very limited availability for EV chargers - especially Tesla ones. If you ask for them, Tesla just tell you to go for a third-party supplier who will be happy to charge 1500€. However, it doesn't really matter because there is even less availability for electricians. I thought Taptes had the record for making you wait for your product...nah. Twelve weeks for an electrician to install a 32Amp socket..as long as it isn't more than 3 meters from the consumer panel....and I had to dig the trench for running it to the wall. Still, it does the job and charges from 60-80% every night in three hours.

Excluding budgetary arguments (which probably aren’t genuine if you can afford a Tesla), I don’t understand the “why would you spend any more than necessary” chat from people advising the ‘ugly black blob with tentacles’ chargers.

How long is an EV charger going to be on your house. Assuming you wouldn’t be getting one fitted unless you’re a permanent resident...a long time.

I’ll take functions being a good reason to go for a different type but they’d have to be VERY good functions to beat the aesthetics superiority of an Andersen A2.
Totally agree. Love our Andersen....although it has been mistaken for a letterbox.

• Funny
Reactions: CMc1
Totally agree. Love our Andersen....although it has been mistaken for a letterbox.

Must admit my concern with the Andersen was that it would cause confusion for delivery drivers! I also thought I wouldn't really be bothered with wrapping the cable around neatly each time. I didn't like the thought of the LCD screen on the Zappi as it would be mounted on a south-facing wall.

Talked myself in and out of every brand and in the end bought the Tesla dumb charger! Got the v2 as it has 7.5m lead which I need given our driveway size and parking positions. Looks pretty, not too much to go wrong with it, No one controlling my electric or compatibility problems with the car not waking. 4-year warranty. Not OLEV eligible but most installers who quoted me for OLEV chargers just seemed to be taking the extra 300 quid as pocket money for themselves. The Tesla charger + install is significantly less than an OLEV charger + install - 300 quid.

I'll see where the market is next time around. I got burnt in the past with the SMETS1 meters and been first into the market! I have the first ever batch of Sony minidisc players. I've learnt never too early an adopter.

Depends entirely on where the thing is positioned. Both of mine are hidden from view. Neither are mounted on the house. Doesn't matter what they look like if the unit isn't on display, really.

My situation isn't unusual. I've probably seen around a couple of dozen charge point installations now, and most of them are either completely, or partially, hidden from view. Off hand, I can't recall one that was mounted on the front elevation of a house or garage, either.

It's good that there's a choice, so that for those that want to have a unit on public display they can choose one that suits the location. For many, though, it really doesn't matter a jot what the thing looks like. It's like worrying about the appearance of a hose reel, outside tap etc fitted somewhere where few will ever see it.
Fair point I’d not considered! And of course each to their own. Good or bad, I’m just as particular about tidiness whether it’s on show to others or just me looking at it, lol.

Often it’s less the charge unit itself and more the cable mess that seems to clash beside a stylish EV. e.g. My neighbour has a nice enough looking Jag (>£65k) with the kerbside appeal of the car entirely ruined by the wiring to the charger and the charging cables dangling like a petrol pump

It was how terrible that looked that convinced me the Andersen was worth the money.

I don't think you can beat Andersen for a tethered, clean solution, but if you're thinking of situating one of these out of the way, or purposefully hidden, then the aesthetics are less important.

Like others I wanted an all in one solution so I wouldn't have to fish around for a cable in the boot, etc. I also had one eye on a future "EV family" so was thinking about where it would be optimal to have it fitted to be able to reach several cars.

I'm surprised no one has come out with anything really comparable. All other chargepoints seem to this day to be setting out to look incongruous with the frontage of your house.

IMG_4211.jpg

(EDIT: Realised I'd already posted a photo :) )

That slipped roof tile on the garage is doing may head in :eek:... if the rest of the scene wasn't so neat and tidy it wouldn't bother me ... fortunately my set up doesn't need to be neat!

I don't think you can beat Andersen for a tethered, clean solution, but if you're thinking of situating one of these out of the way, or purposefully hidden, then the aesthetics are less important.

Like others I wanted an all in one solution so I wouldn't have to fish around for a cable in the boot, etc. I also had one eye on a future "EV family" so was thinking about where it would be optimal to have it fitted to be able to reach several cars.

I'm surprised no one has come out with anything really comparable. All other chargepoints seem to this day to be setting out to look incongruous with the frontage of your house.

View attachment 594052

(EDIT: Realised I'd already posted a photo :) )

I had a brick pillar that was too narrow for the Anderson so I went custom.
The charger (Rolec) is actually inside the garage but the cabinet could have gone around the whole charger if necessary.

20200201_164725.jpg
20200202_125131.jpg

You are so right ... pretty shocking! Agenda point for the residents' meeting? ;)

I've got a ditch beside where I charge, accompanied by a gravelly muddy mess when it rains ... the "natural growth" in the vicinity is a feature:eek: !
Haha. The far side garage isn’t mine so I won’t be fixing the tile, but I might pop out and get rid of the floral feature now you mentioned it

Reactions: MrBadger