Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficulty disconnecting charge cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I know there have been charging issues with the latest software update, but I would like to ask if others are affected in the same way as me.

I have a completely dumb untethered charger and 1 phase type 2 cable.

First charge yesterday with the .11 software. I stopped the charge manually from the app, but left the cable connected over night.

This morning opened the app to unlock charge cable, but pressed charge by mistake. No problem. Press stop then unlock... Charge stopped but would not unlock.

Tried several times, cursing and swearing...

OK, do it from the screen in the car...

Where it normally says release cable, it now says start charge...

Fuming by now... In desperation remove cable from wall, so car cannot see mains. And try again. By this stage I am contemplating pulling the boot liner out to get to the emergency release... On the third try, a click and the cable is released.

Now if I had a tethered cable or was on a public charger which locks the cable into the charger unit, I would have been stuffed, and the release would have to be pulled.

Hi All

I know there have been charging issues with the latest software update, but I would like to ask if others are affected in the same way as me.

I have a completely dumb untethered charger and 1 phase type 2 cable.

First charge yesterday with the .11 software. I stopped the charge manually from the app, but left the cable connected over night.

This morning opened the app to unlock charge cable, but pressed charge by mistake. No problem. Press stop then unlock... Charge stopped but would not unlock.

Tried several times, cursing and swearing...

OK, do it from the screen in the car...

Where it normally says release cable, it now says start charge...

Fuming by now... In desperation remove cable from wall, so car cannot see mains. And try again. By this stage I am contemplating pulling the boot liner out to get to the emergency release... On the third try, a click and the cable is released.

Now if I had a tethered cable or was on a public charger which locks the cable into the charger unit, I would have been stuffed, and the release would have to be pulled.
Just a thought and you probably tried anyway. Sometimes pushing the charge plug harder into the port helps it release. If it’s been pulled and not coming out, it jams the release peg.
hope it sorts itself

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Just a thought and you probably tried anyway. Sometimes pushing the charge plug harder into the port helps it release. If it’s been pulled and not coming out, it jams the release peg.
hope it sorts itself
That's a good point. I've found that I have to do that on some public chargers when using the Type2 Plug. The Tesla plug seems more snug than my previous BMW plug and it may be there is slightly less tolerance all round.

That's a good point. I've found that I have to do that on some public chargers when using the Type2 Plug. The Tesla plug seems more snug than my previous BMW plug and it may be there is slightly less tolerance all round.
Mine’s a bit snug too. I don’t have trouble getting it out but sometimes I get the angle wrong and it locks before the plug is right in and I have to unlock and start again

Reactions: ElijahEVMan
Had mine fail to unlock at a public charging station (BP Pulse - no SC's anywhere near me). Charging stopped and I could hear the unlock noise from the chargeport area when I pressed unlock but it would not release. Ended calling Tesla support and had to use the emergency release cord. Support guy thought it could be the charge station communication error with the car, although this didn't make sense as the screen was showing that charging had stopped.

Hasn't happened again and Tesla said I would need to take it to a service centre if I wanted them to 'take a look'. As it's a 4 hour round trip to my nearest one and a day off work, I declined.

That a look at this entry...
may be a similar issue, but something we all need to be aware of.