TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Difficulty getting insurance quote with VIN

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by plasmo, Aug 20, 2018.

1. plasmo

plasmo Member

Has anyone else had difficulty in getting insurance quote estimates with our new Tesla Model 3 VIN #s?

My insurance guy can't pull the VIN up and I am trying to explain to him it is not a Model S/X (he is asking if it is a P75D or P100D, etc).

2. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Weird. My insurance agent (just a call center person) could see immediately that it was a Model 3 from the VIN. Told her safety features, alarm, etc so she could figure out what discounts I qualified for as well.

Ameriprise through Costco.

3. Wubbles

Wubbles Member

Had no issues when I got quotes from Travelers, Amerprise, and Liberty Mutual when I provided them with my AWD Model 3 VIN.

4. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

No issues through USAA

• Like x 1
  5. plasmo

plasmo Member

Hmm. I have insurance through Acuity. Maybe I should switch.

• Like x 1
  6. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

No issues with MetLife Auto. Even had them put on the "New Car Replacement" on the policy for the M3 for the first 15,000 miles.

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

Maybe you need a new guy... :rolleyes:

8. Runebane

Runebane Member

Farmer's Insurance had no problem pulling up the Model 3 from my VIN. I second the "You need a new guy".

9. Len905

Len905 Member

Just go online to GEICO.com. You can configure your insurance requirement and get an immediate quote without a VIN. I did it here in California.

• Like x 2
  10. paladinfello

paladinfello Member

Talked to my Farmers agent before I got my Model 3 VIN and after I got it, no issues.

11. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

I have liberty mutual and the VIN wouldn't come up so they just manually put in Tesla model 3. I think they just use the price to base most of the quote.

12. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

if a car insurance agent hasn't heard of a Model 3 you need a new car insurance agent, especially if he thinks a "P75D" exists...

13. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Plot twist:

Maybe guy actually knows more than us??

Following previous naming conventions, the

P3 is actually a Model 3 P75D. :)

• Funny x 1
  14. tashtibet

tashtibet Member

Allstate was my insurance and I switched to AMICA -now a happy customer-you should call them & check out.

15. kutkuzak

kutkuzak Patrick

Having the same problem with Progressive right now. I don't think their system has the AWD VINs yet. Going through it manually via their agent in chat.

16. Chedawg

Chedawg Member

My broker mentioned that both AAA and Progressive are identifying my AWD VIN as a RWD model. Progressive was able to manually adjust the value to match the AWD but AAA couldn't override the value to actually reflect the price of my car so it's a no go until they fix that (they have the best price currently). Travelers was the second best price so going with them for now.

17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

I had a few issues but Geico, Farmers, and a few others were able to quote. Geico was by far the lowest.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

My guy at State Farm had no issues using my VIN. Only $88/year more than I pay for the XV Crosstrek! :D