Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficulty getting MX into narrow garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My garage door width is 94 inches wide. The interior walls are significantly wider so there's no problem opening the front door once inside. I have made several attempts to get the car into the garage but stopped when a rear side was an inch or two from the door. I would greatly appreciat any suggestions. Should I try backing in? Should I try summons? Is 94" simply too small for the MX and I should give up?

I have an 8ft (96" opening) and have no trouble. I've even made it in with out folding mirrors. Well until the other night in the pouring rain and in rush I manage scrapped the wheel well trim. I'm gonna add some thin foam on both sides. The ultra sonics are pretty accurate and I should have relied on them more. I have a tendency to be to far to the left.

One grip I have is, when backing out it only shows the rear ultra sonics. I want to see the front sensors too when I'm backing out !!

Upvote 0
I have a tight garage door too. I back it in and put some small black tape lines on the garage floor to line up my wheels on. With the side mirrors pointed down when in reverse I can back in quickly without worrying about hitting the door frame. Just line up on the tape and easy breezy.

Reactions: Genie and cobra
Upvote 0
Like the poster I quote (to reply) below, I also have an 8ft (96" opening) and generally have no trouble. I did get one wheel well rim scrape early on. I also don't fold the mirrors.
I have an 8ft (96" opening) and have no trouble. I've even made it in with out folding mirrors. Well until the other night in the pouring rain and in rush I manage scrapped the wheel well trim. I'm gonna add some thin foam on both sides. The ultra sonics are pretty accurate and I should have relied on them more. I have a tendency to be to far to the left.

One grip I have is, when backing out it only shows the rear ultra sonics. I want to see the front sensors too when I'm backing out !!
I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think the front sensors show up in the IC if they are being triggered. I certainly feel like I've seen them when backing up in addition to when pulling in.

Upvote 0
Like the poster I quote (to reply) below, I also have an 8ft (96" opening) and generally have no trouble. I did get one wheel well rim scrape early on. I also don't fold the mirrors.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think the front sensors show up in the IC if they are being triggered. I certainly feel like I've seen them when backing up in addition to when pulling in.

I don’t think so. Maybe they did in the past. I think they used to some how show it, not sure.

In fact I tested it. I’m backing out, while it shows nothing with front end between the opening (narrowest part), I bump it into drive and they show triggering and audible alarm without moving then put it back to reverse and nothing again (no visual or audio). It’s really dumb. I could easily swing into a post, another car etc. with the front end when backing up. And it won’t warn you.

Reactions: Prairie
Upvote 0
I don’t think so. Maybe they did in the past. I think they used to some how show it, not sure.

In fact I tested it. I’m backing out, while it shows nothing with front end between the opening (narrowest part), I bump it into drive and they show triggering and audible alarm without moving then put it back to reverse and nothing again (no visual or audio). It’s really dumb. I could easily swing into a post, another car etc. with the front end when backing up. And it won’t warn you.
Well, I wasn't 100% certain before, but now I'm not confident at all. I really feel like I saw the entire vehicle sonar view in the IC while in reverse as recently as last weekend, but I also feel like the audio warnings don't go off for the front half of the vehicle when I'm backing out of the garage. I'd love to say I'll check later on today and report back, but the odds of me remembering to do so are slimmer than I'd like. It's possible that both experiences are really occurring. For instance, maybe I've seen the front view after shifting from R to D to R, because when you are close enough to anything monitored by the rear sensors, the camera stays on when you switch to D, so switching from D to R might also leave the D stuff up, too.

Upvote 0
Well, I wasn't 100% certain before, but now I'm not confident at all. I really feel like I saw the entire vehicle sonar view in the IC while in reverse as recently as last weekend, but I also feel like the audio warnings don't go off for the front half of the vehicle when I'm backing out of the garage. I'd love to say I'll check later on today and report back, but the odds of me remembering to do so are slimmer than I'd like. It's possible that both experiences are really occurring. For instance, maybe I've seen the front view after shifting from R to D to R, because when you are close enough to anything monitored by the rear sensors, the camera stays on when you switch to D, so switching from D to R might also leave the D stuff up, too.
Now I know why I was confused.

Main screen shows the whole car backing up (and all sensors) Dash screen only shows rear half.

Reactions: Prairie
Upvote 0
Not sure of the issue. I could back any car in a garage, no matter the make or model. The fact that my Tesla provides all sorts of warnings does not mean it won’t fit. If you are relying on sensors to drive your car maybe you should not be driving at all. Use your eyes for God’s sake. Sheesh!

Upvote 0
Not sure of the issue. I could back any car in a garage, no matter the make or model. The fact that my Tesla provides all sorts of warnings does not mean it won’t fit. If you are relying on sensors to drive your car maybe you should not be driving at all. Use your eyes for God’s sake. Sheesh!
With the mirrors folded you are pretty blind.

Based on the number of curbed wheels I’ve seen on this forum and in public half the Tesla drivers shouldn’t be driving. Can’t recall ever curbing a rim 40 years of driving.

I have to pull in at an angle into an 8ft wide with mirrors folded. There is only a about 1” on either side with them out. The sensors are there and they are pretty accurate so I’ll use them. Would I not pull in if I didn’t have them, no.

And I did scrap the side once, in the dark, pouring rain and no lights in garage yet (had not pulled in enough to trigger motion sensor). If I just paid attention to the sensors more it would not have happened.

Also sensors allow you to go a little quicker because it’s like having more eyes.

For gods sake shut up. You have no idea of what I’m squeezing into. Nor do you have my eyes which are far from perfect.

Upvote 0
Now I know why I was confused.

Main screen shows the whole car backing up (and all sensors) Dash screen only shows rear half.
I concur, I just happened to notice the same thing this morning. Not sure why it caught my eye this morning considering that I back out of my garage every day, but yes, I see the whole vehicle in the MCU and only the rear in the IC. That having been said, I didn't notice until after I was out of the garage, so I'm still not confident the whole car view means that all sensors are shown and make sound, but I certainly thought they did until you said otherwise, and it would also stand to reason that they should.

Upvote 0
With the mirrors folded you are pretty blind.

Based on the number of curbed wheels I’ve seen on this forum and in public half the Tesla drivers shouldn’t be driving. Can’t recall ever curbing a rim 40 years of driving.

I have to pull in at an angle into an 8ft wide with mirrors folded. There is only a about 1” on either side with them out. The sensors are there and they are pretty accurate so I’ll use them. Would I not pull in if I didn’t have them, no.

And I did scrap the side once, in the dark, pouring rain and no lights in garage yet (had not pulled in enough to trigger motion sensor). If I just paid attention to the sensors more it would not have happened.

Also sensors allow you to go a little quicker because it’s like having more eyes.

For gods sake shut up. You have no idea of what I’m squeezing into. Nor do you have my eyes which are far from perfect.
Can’t read . . or drive seems to be your problem. My post said the mirrors point down in reverse, not folded in. Just park outside.

Upvote 0