Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficulty solving BMS_a063 alert "unable to charge" at Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also am driving a Model 3LR 2023 and got the same charging error in the Boston Area.
🥶

I think they both came at the Stoughton Stall but I don't RememBuH .. if they were both Stoughton. 2 nights in a Row. After I switched chargers it was fine.
Would have written off as an AnOmaLy .. but 2 nights in a row. If it happens again I will report dutifully back to this thread.
Thanks for the reply! It is reassuring, although unfortunate, that I'm not the only person having this issue.
Lately I only get the error at the Seabrook NH supercharger (V2). I don't seem to get it anywhere else.

Below shows an Invoice image from my latest service visit for this issue. One of their technicians came out and told me something like "this is a known firmware/software bug that was discovered Feb 14 2023 and is being looked into." They didn't provide any additional information.
I'm currently on 2023.2.12 and still have the issue.

1678972613691.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My charging problem is not yet solved, but I have some additional information to share from "service mode."

Below is a picture showing the alert descriptions.
As expected, I have a few BMS_a063 alerts.
I also saw the "VCFRONT_a530" alert, which was unexpected - I have no idea what this means.

View attachment 912563

The image below shows the "CP Fault Line" in the color red when the BMS_a063 fault occurs. Everything else looks OK.
Again, I'm not sure what any of this means yet.
View attachment 912564
Looks like the handshake between the car and the DC Fastcharger (Supercharger) may have been successfully established but the Fast Charge Contactors have not closed. The Supercharger voltage shows 4V. Does anyone know if the car monitors the Supercharger input DC voltage and requires it to be at or slightly above the pack voltage before it commands the Fast Charge Contactors to close? If the Supercharger is seen as a capacitive load to the car, closing the Fast Charge Contactors with a several hundred volt difference between the cars HV pack and the DC Fast Charge pedestal might cause a serious out rush of current (big arc/weld the DC wand pins to the charge port contacts).

Looks like the handshake between the car and the DC Fastcharger (Supercharger) may have been successfully established but the Fast Charge Contactors have not closed. The Supercharger voltage shows 4V. Does anyone know if the car monitors the Supercharger input DC voltage and requires it to be at or slightly above the pack voltage before it commands the Fast Charge Contactors to close? If the Supercharger is seen as a capacitive load to the car, closing the Fast Charge Contactors with a several hundred volt difference between the cars HV pack and the DC Fast Charge pedestal might cause a serious out rush of current (big arc/weld the DC wand pins to the charge port contacts).
That is an interesting hypothesis. I am curious to see what someone else's screen shows in Service Mode when supercharging is complete and the charge handle is still plugged into the charge port. I wonder if other people's show 0V?
1679062876677.png

Thanks for the reply! It is reassuring, although unfortunate, that I'm not the only person having this issue.
Lately I only get the error at the Seabrook NH supercharger (V2). I don't seem to get it anywhere else.

Below shows an Invoice image from my latest service visit for this issue. One of their technicians came out and told me something like "this is a known firmware/software bug that was discovered Feb 14 2023 and is being looked into." They didn't provide any additional information.
I'm currently on 2023.2.12 and still have the issue.

View attachment 918145
So after several days and multiple usages of different super chargers, I have had no more issues charging. So I guess it was an anomaly.

Reactions: IceMan8247