Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficulty starting summons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the last firmware upgrade the summon via app is unusable. Very rarely it connects to the car (despite having a good connectivity on both ends) and fails to start summon eventually...

I'm very disappointed because it worked almost flawlessly in the past.

It might have the same reason as your problem

Summon for me has not worked since the first firmware upgrade after taking delivery...but it did work on the delivered firmware version 24.8. Now on 36.2 and I still cannot connect to whatever is needed to activate Summon. Like @JanFiala in Prague, Summon used to work here in North Carolina quite well...now not at all. Very much disappointed by this, and don’t understand it.

As I see it, the vehicle connects electronically to the outside world in three ways: cellular LTE, WiFi, and Bluetooth. My iPhone6 connects the same 3 ways. From my phone’s Tesla app, I can connect sufficiently well to unlock the vehicle, open the trunk, blast the horn, turn on the HVAC, and drive the car. I cannot use Summon however. What on earth is needed for Summon to connect properly?

• Disagree
Reactions: Rlkoffman
Summon works great for me with the FOB. You have to press and hold the top button on the FOB until the car lights come on, then activate forward or backwards with a single click of the frunk or trunk button.

You also have to make sure the "require continuous press" setting in summon settings is set to OFF or it won't work with the FOB at all. I learned this after much frustration :)

Connecting to summon is hit or miss for me. Also, if during summon the car stops for some reason (summon fails,) it won’t reconnect for some time, and usually my patience runs out.

Summon was not working well, it would get “stuck” on the cement lip of my garage. One of the last two updates fixed that and it powers over that well...when I can connect.