Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Digital control brakes to simulate reg braking in cold temperatures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know, regenerative braking is affected in cold temperatures for a number of miles until the battery warms up.
This could be potentially a safety issue because the driver is used to slow down with reg braking.

Do you think it will be possible in new cars with digital control brakes to have a software update that makes the actual brakes act as regenerative braking when reg is not possible?
The driving esperience would always be the same. When releasing the right pedal the driver will always perceive a “reg braking”, whether it’s actually regenerative or digital controlled.
At the beginning it would be 100% software controlled and 0% regenerative, then 80/20, 50/50,… until the battery is ready for 100% regenerative braking.

I think that would be great and get the driving experience even closer to perfection. And with the growing number of Tesla in the roads, that will prevent non experienced Tesla owners to complain about this little thing.

This could be potentially a safety issue because the driver is used to slow down with reg braking.
In situations where regen should slow the vehicle enough, there is also enough time to push the brakes if regen is not slowing enough.
When strong braking is required, one does not use regen at all but immediately jumps on the brakes.

This is a non-issue especially as regen never really stops the vehicle. One must use the brakes to really stop it.

I quite like the idea. It'd be useful to have some feedback on the dash, for example the regen bar would turn grey for any part that is not being recovered and is using friction instead. it should respect the LOW regen setting too. You'd have to use the brakes anyway in cold weather, so why not make the driving experience more consistent?