TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Digital Energy Monitor for Home Charging Station?

Discussion in 'Asia and Australia' started by foxium, Jun 27, 2011.

1. foxium

foxium Member

My Roadster delivery is still months away so I'm trying to kill time by getting the garage prepared.

I'm looking for a simple digital energy monitor to go with Tesla's High Power Wall Connector, so I can tell the exact amount of energy drawn by the car for each charge. It needs to handle at least 70A and should have a "reset" button to clear the counter.

Does anyone have recommendations for such a meter? Thanks!

2. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Try the energy monitors used for Power Distribution Units in Data Centres. Some can send alarms when the current goes below a threshold, useful for an overnight charge failure.

Another way to do it is by adjusting shunt resistor sizes to change the scale on your meter, but I'll let your supplier explain.

4. strider

strider Active Member

The car itself will tell you that. Each time you turn it on after charging the VDS will display the amount of power and, if you enter your cost per kWh, the cost of the charge. Just make sure the door is closed or the stupid open door warning will cover the charging data. It also keeps an historical record of charge amounts that you can access as well.

5. foxium

foxium Member

@widodh & dpeilow, thank you -- will look into those.

That's a nice feature and I wasn't aware of that. But I still want to get a monitor installed to keep track of total energy costs, especially useful when charging multiple EVs (a Model S may be? :rolleyes:).

6. richkae

richkae VIN587

I use this TED The Energy Detective to track my electricity usage of the whole house, the PV system and the biggest load ( the Tesla ).
    With the help from the TED I reduced my electricity waste enough to drive the car 30 miles a day.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I believe the people who put meters at the charge stations have different numbers than the car's readout.

8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I use one of these:

OmniMeter I

Expensive, but the company is good to deal with. Not sure about the reset button (you'll have to ask them, because there is such a contact on the top of the unit but I am not sure how/if it works).

Yep. I've been working with Tom and Tetsous on this. The Charging History screen is just plain wrong (at least in some circumstances) and I can't trust it. I'm gathering info at the moment to file a bug report with Tesla this week.

9. foxium

foxium Member

Thank you everyone! I am going to order the OmniMeter Mark suggested. It's even got a serial port for remote reading :smile:

10. Alpha

Alpha Member

Now that some time has passed, can you comment on how well the meter is working for you?
    I'm thinking about getting one for my Model S...

I think it's better to have a meter on the circuit rather than exclusively trust any in car data, because logically the car data wouldn't record heat loss in the circuit external to the car... (which is still energy you have to pay for of course!!)