Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Digital mirror (rearview mirror) display with Tesla rearview stock camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we have successfully tapped out the HD 720p30 video signal from the rearview camera and then output to other devices such as Dashcam, DVR, digital mirror. This time is our first attemp to make the rearview camera image to be displayed onto a digital mirror display.

The functional block is like that:

Tesla in-car rearview camera —> video conversion board —> digital mirror display

CE91A218-FBA3-4E1E-A8D4-08CDCD07290D.jpeg
9418F289-F149-4A09-A256-FE93C1CEE90A.jpeg

Below YouTube link for more dynamic details

Reactions: David99 and araxara
Impressive and I could see that being useful in a car with a small rear-view camera display screen (often pretty low on the dashboard). With the big Tesla MCU displaying the rear view camera, do you see this as being a useful upgrade/additional capability? When I watched the video, I found myself looking at the MCU camera image more than the rear view mirror display...

I drive with the rear camera view always on. That, with the rear and side view mirrors, gives me triple protection — no blind spot of any kind. For me at least this wouldn’t be diserable.

But I have to congratulate @BearBu for solving a problem that dozens of owners, including me, failed to solve.

Now if we can add additonal Tesla cameras for the side view, and project them on the touchscreen, not to say projecting video on the touchscreen and making the cameras provide views for a dash cam, BearBu is cooking:)

thanks for the thoughts. the above video clip was the testing that showing the duplicated video signal (from the rearview camera) can be generated as standard video signal for some practical applications such as dashcam for rearview, digital mirror display, etc...

There are many so-called Dashcam with digital mirror function which record the front + rearview (something like bluevue product), below link is one of the example:

KDLINKS R100 1296P 280° Front+Rear Rearview Mirror Car Dash Cam Camera 5" IPS | eBay

my video conversion board gives the flexibility to the user to use the in-car Tesla rearview camera for the dashcam instead of installing another rear camera, as the in-car Tesla rear camera is actually installed at the perfect location

As for adding a frontview camera, or even a side view camera to the board, we are working on this, the front view camera (non Tesla camera) can work and can be displayed onto the touchscreen display. Please refer to the following link for project details.

Frontview (or multi-view) 720p camera for Model S