TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Digital Trends: Tesla Model S vs Jaguar F Type (July 20, 2013)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by twinklejet, Jul 20, 2013.

1. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

"For example, while I was driving the Tesla, she explored the seat-adjust button on the dash and nearly tossed me into the back seat."

I assume she hit the driver profile button
    and switched it while he was driving but hardly consider this a deal breaker. Everyone is different though and gives a valid argument for why he made the decision he made.

3. walla2

walla2 Member

I see how the writer can use the argument that he needed to hear the noise to justify the Jag. The noise was something HE needed. He writes "screw practicality" like the S is all practical. When you floor an S, there's nothing practical about it. It's just pure fun.

Every other thing he wrote is just silly since the S will eat that Jag for breakfast. Even with a top of the line F-Type V8-S, that 2 seater gets smoked by my 7 seater. I would argue that hearing the noise isn't enough. Having a stealth rocket is much more fun.

4. evme

evme Member

#4 evme, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    So to summarize:

The guy was looking for a sports car convertible but decided to check out the Model S despite it not being what he was looking for to begin with.

This is a common example of looking at something you never would have considered to begin with to justify the purchase of something else. My favorite part of the whole thing? "the local Jag dealer, whenever we had a spare moment, just go for another test drive. The dealership was very understanding, considering how unlikely it seemed that we would buy one.". That is so believable.

Have news articles become twitter nowadays?

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

No denying the Jag looks really cool. A convertible gives a different driver experience and yes the Model S is huge. That's why you get a Roadster too.

6. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Who fiddles the car seat while speeding on the freeway and on a turn, from the passenger seat? I say forget the car, he needs a new wife.. :)

7. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Here's what I see: a guy whose wife wouldn't let him get a Model S so he had to find other reasons to justify getting an inferior car.

8. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

what kind of comparison is this?

9. youlikeadajuice

Did you catch his bio at the end of the article?:

"Rob is President and Principal Analyst of the Enderle Group, a forward-looking emerging technology advisory firm."

Forward looking emerging technology firm??? Rrrriiiiiiggghhhttt....good luck with that.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If the latest complaint is that the Model S is "too practical" or "all practical", then Tesla has already won.

- - - Updated - - -

People that want to have or cause a wreck. I'm glad drivers like that aren't buying the Model S. It lowers the average driver quality in Tesla vehicles.

11. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

My thoughts exactly!

12. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Well he got the car he wanted and we all got the car we wanted. I used to own a Jag Supercharged XF...Now I have, in my opinion, a greener, safer, quieter, and downright more fun to drive car...NO compromises.
    Gotta go...Heading to the 'Jag' forum to let them know I had a Jag but decided to upgrade to an S :biggrin:

13. HHHH

HHHH Member

The article has so many inconsistencies with the truth that it fails to gain any credibility before you're done reading. In any article, I think the first thing my mind looks for is to see if the person makes sense and knows their stuff. The article failed to do that on the most basic level. My wife isn't good with tech, either, she's gotten better in the last two weeks learning about pinterest, dropbox, etc from her post graduate education classmates, but she loved the car. She isn't for splurging or high priced cars like I have always been, she's so basic her base RAV4 is good enough for her. After driving the Tesla though, she's like we have to get THAT car.

The writer fails to appreciate that although there are gas stations everywhere in case you forget to fill up, there's an available HPWC at your home, and that you no longer have to pay for gas! The F Type is no doubt a lovely roadster, but as someone coming from having a their last several cars be 2 door high end Porsche's and having a deposit on a $200k+ 2014 Porsche 911 turbo S that switched to the P85+, I can tell you that he did not get the full experience from the car, or you can go with the "you can't sell stupid" theory.

Eventually, he might realize that he just doesn't know enough about the topic to be forming an intelligent opinion. His comments go up there with the taxpayer citizen who says, "I'm paying for your car" to a Tesla owner.

You, sir, simply do not know of what you speak.

14. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Enderle is well known in the Apple community as a Microsoft shill. I guess he's taking the "Apple of automobiles" sentiment seriously.

15. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

it is a good thing EVERYONE does not get MS as there is simply not (yet) enough production capacity for everyone to get (a) MS.

16. BenTesla

BenTesla Member

This guy is clearly out of his mind, but he got the car he wanted. I think what we should take away from this is that Tesla MS competes favorably in (and out) of it's class. This is the type of guy that Tesla will have to convince with it's next iteration of the MS and it sounds like they're really close to pulling it off!

17. evme

evme Member

I don't think there is anything to convince. He was never in the market for a sedan to begin with, he wanted a sports convertible. Your never going to convince a person who is looking for an orange that your apple is better. When the Roadster 2 comes out, then you can compare the two. My guess is people like him will swap in a jiffy.

18. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Weird he didn't compare the 2 seat convertible Jag to the 2 seat convertible Tesla - the Roadster.

A CPO Roadster can be had from Tesla for about the same as the Jag but will be wayyyyy faster and more fun.

19. BenTesla

BenTesla Member

Good point but what I meant was that Tesla created a car that is worthy of it's target markets attention. You can't convert everyone, but it's telling that in his mind (even if he didn't really want one to begin with) that these were the two best cars in the price range he was looking to purchase from.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder