Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma: 90D vs P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see it exactly the opposite. I use the passing speed every day but how often would I take the car past 270 miles and use the extra 24 the 90D provides? I know from 10k miles of road trips I can slow down 5mph and get that extra range when needed.

The beauty of it is that Tesla offers both choices so all of us are happy! :)
See, that's the difference. I don't need to slow down and I have zero anxiety. The good news is we are both happy with our choices.

Interesting.

I'm thinking that the P100D is going to come in at even more of a premium than the P90D.

And unless that P100D is with Ludicrous, it's liable to not be any "faster" than the P90D with Ludicrous is.

But you are right. To each his own.

To me it's important to have peak performance on tap and underfoot each time I'm behind the wheel of my car.

Really, the launches don't do it for me either, so I can sort of appreciate your friends viewpoint.

IDK where the 10k mile figure comes from.

Unless perhaps you're referring to the 21in wheel and tire setup.
Could be P100D with Plaid for all we know. I agree it will be more money but my point is if you're willing to spend ~$140k on a P90D Ludy why not ~$150k for P100D Plaid which will be faster AND have the added range. It's just money! Maybe it will do a 10.9.;)

See, that's the difference. I don't need to slow down and I have zero anxiety. The good news is we are both happy with our choices.

Unless he just wanted or needed the extra 24 miles, he wouldn't need to slow down either.

He's saying, and I agree with him, I'd rather have the extra performance, that I use every time I'm behind the wheel of my car, than to have 24 miles (more in my case as mine is a P85D with Ludicrous), to go along with the several other miles that I never get down to.

But again I'd agree. The good news is that we're all happy with our choices.

Unless he just wanted or needed the extra 24 miles, he wouldn't need to slow down either.

He's saying, and I agree with him, I'd rather have the extra performance, that I use every time I'm behind the wheel of my car, than to have 24 miles (more in my case as mine is a P85D with Ludicrous), to go along with the several other miles that I never get down to.

But again I'd agree. The good news is that we're all happy with our choices.
And, if I'm not mistaken, you were lucky enough to be part of the $5k Ludy upgrade group which was, comparatively speaking, a great deal. It's double that on a new order as you know.

Could be P100D with Plaid for all we know. I agree it will be more money but my point is if you're willing to spend ~$140k on a P90D Ludy why not ~$150k for P100D Plaid which will be faster AND have the added range. It's just money! Maybe it will do a 10.9.;)

Thought Maximum Plaid was coming with the new roadster.

Next Tesla Roadster coming in 4 years, will go plaid

Personally I wouldn't wait for Plaid to show up in a Model S P100D before it showed up in the roadster.

Last edited:
And, if I'm not mistaken, you were lucky enough to be part of the $5k Ludy upgrade group which was, comparatively speaking, a great deal. It's double that on a new order as you know.

You're not mistaken.

And yes I do know that it's double that on a new order and has been since 7/17/15.

Of course Ludicrous is a better deal at $5k than it is at $10k. However a P85D vs a P90D is not quite an apples to apples comparison in that you are getting a newer car and one with more range if those things are important to you.

But I don't believe that's the matter at hand.

Ludicrous at $5k, well unless you took possession of, or ordered a P85D prior to 7/17/15, is not an option.

Last edited:
I think what I'll do is put $30K (D to DL uplift) down and and finance the balance at the 1.49% special rate they have going on now. I assume that I'll qualify for the resale guarantee?

I believe you're right that you get the 50% of base price plus 43% of options guaranteed trade in after 3 years if you finance.

Everyone's debt tolerance is different. For some reason I was getting the impression you were paying cash, so I was gonna smile if you ended up splurging on the P90D.

But even the 90D comes to like 110k, and with 30k down is around $1.1k/month. Have you worked out what your total cost to drive would be after 3 years, factoring in down payment, monthly payments, less tax credit/rebates, and adjusted for however over/underwater you are when trading in after 3 years, as compared to the remaining principle on your loan?

Does it work out to around $20k per year? (My rough guess)

I never borrow money to buy cars. Actually, I don't owe any man woman or beast in this universe a penny for anything. I know I'm conservative, but $20k/year on a car sounds like a waste, especially if after those 3 years you have no car to show for it. And really especially if you're depending on income to make the loan payments. And remember this is the 90D I'm talking about. I didn't even price out the P90D.

I was cheering for P90D. But now I think I'm flipping. If you're simply thinking to finance because the rate is low, and you think you can do better with your cash somewhere else, while locking in your resale value, then sure, you sound like someone who could very well find yourself regretting you didn't get the P90D - in that case I'd smile if you went for it.
But if you don't have the liquid assets to cover the cost of the car, even if you have a great monthly income, then my vote is don't get sucked into wanting the status symbol, and go 90D.

I never borrow money to buy cars.
Getting OT, but...
In order to pay cash for my 90D I would have had to sell investments which, after tax, are returning significantly more than the
interest I'm paying on my auto loan. How on earth would that make sense? Furthermore, by taking out a loan I was able to
acquire GAP insurance which, as far as I can tell, is simply not available any other way. If some fool is willing to lend at under 2%
it seems self-destructive to refuse them. I have a similar problem with the ruckus over the national debt: if the rest of the world is
willing to foot the bill for our party at some of the lowest interest rates on earth, what's the problem?

Getting OT, but...
In order to pay cash for my 90D I would have had to sell investments which, after tax, are returning significantly more than the
interest I'm paying on my auto loan. How on earth would that make sense? Furthermore, by taking out a loan I was able to
acquire GAP insurance which, as far as I can tell, is simply not available any other way. If some fool is willing to lend at under 2%
it seems self-destructive to refuse them. I have a similar problem with the ruckus over the national debt: if the rest of the world is
willing to foot the bill for our party at some of the lowest interest rates on earth, what's the problem?
I'm with you in this 100%. I planned on paying cash for mine but at 1.49% for 5 or 6 years the money was just too cheap to pass up and hopefully I'll do better than that with my own investments.

Reactions: mshuang
I never borrow money to buy cars. Actually, I don't owe any man woman or beast in this universe a penny for anything. I know I'm conservative, but $20k/year on a car sounds like a waste, especially if after those 3 years you have no car to show for it.

We currently have 3 autos, all of which are owned outright but if someone is going to let me use their money for next to free, I can keep my assets as is and get a better return. ;)

We currently have 3 autos, all of which are owned outright but if someone is going to let me use their money for next to free, I can keep my assets as is and get a better return. ;)

Cool. Borrowing money because you're making more on your money elsewhere isn't the same as borrowing money because you don't have it.

can't wait to hear how it ends

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 5.45.21 PM.jpg

UPDATE: Ok all, I made my decision today and paid the $2.5K deposit so it's now official! After much back and forth the past few weeks I decided to go to Telsa today to drive the P90D and 90D back-to-back. Afterwards, it was pretty clear which model was the right fit for me so I ended up ordering the P90D!!

Thank you all for your input, comments, etc. :)

View attachment 182736

UPDATE: Ok all, I made my decision today and paid the $2.5K deposit so it's now official! After much back and forth the past few weeks I decided to go to Telsa today to drive the P90D and 90D back-to-back. Afterwards, it was pretty clear which model was the right fit for me so I ended up ordering the P90D!!

Thank you all for your input, comments, etc. :)
Awesome! Now, can we talk to you about adding a line under your P90D?

I kid, I kid, but can we?

Reactions: theslimshadyist
I don't believe he actually said this ;-)

I know from experience that ones true feelings often come out only moments before its time to actually commit to buying something.

I'm paraphrasing here. But if you read back, the OP said something to the effect that:
I can't justify the P, I'd use the range of the 90D way more than the acceleration of the P90D

Then he confirmed that he was ordering all *other* options (with a couple exceptions)

Then, he was like, wow the P90D is like an amusement park ride! Will the 90D do that for me too??? (I wasn't sure how to read that - was it like, wow, that was definitely cool and now I'm realizing I might just want that?)

It's not over till the OP clicks order. And I just have a funny feeling there might be a plot twist left in this story ;-)

You were spot on! ;)

• Love
Reactions: Superloud