Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma: 90D vs P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The[y] do [re]badge your car if you upgrade, all they do is add an underline.
So it would be very difficult for the typical buyer to distinguish the two cases. Unfortunate.

If you look at the p100dl press release it says only p90dl ludicrous cars are upgradeable to the 100 not p90d's
I thought the OP in that case was talking about a new purchase decision, not an upgrade?

So it would be very difficult for the typical buyer to distinguish the two cases. Unfortunate.

I thought the OP in that case was talking about a new purchase decision, not an upgrade?

If I was buying a tesla I would want all information from the seller including documentation on upgrades. So along with the underline I would want the service documents showing the upgrade was done and when. Sufice to say knowing what I do I would want a factory ludicrous car not an upgraded one.

The original poster was trying to decide between 90D and P90D, the conversation evolved into a discussion of what changed with a Ludicrous model.... Then this thread was bumped yesterday 2 months or so later... I'd suspect the OP has a car by now...

I just don't think dropping the 0 to 60 time from an Insane 3.1 seconds to a Ludicrous 2.8 seconds is worth $10,000
Of course not! Not when you can now get it down to 2.5 for a mere $25,000. :)

Suffice to say the comment you made about upgrading directly from a P90D to a P100DL for 25k is incorrect as you would first have to upgrade to a P90DL according to the press release. And the upgrade price is 20k from a p90dl to a p100dl

Last edited:
P90D Cars ordered with ludicrous come with a higher power battery then cars upgraded later. They do not replace your battery if you upgrade later.

The upgrade consists of replacing the fuse with a smart fuse and upgrading the contactor from steel to Inconel, and of course the big expense which is underlining the P90D badge so people know you have ludicrous. Tesla states: "The retrofit will not be an exact equivalent performance spec as a new P90D", which jibes with the higher power battery comment by Tech Guy. Anyone know the details about the battery difference?

I can't imagine any ICE can be upgraded with these incremental performance increases at such a low cost. It's really quite a bargain, $10,000 for 2.8 or $25,000 for 2.5.