Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma - need advice?? (color vs battery)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can get a great deal on a 75 RWD in black with tan next gen seats. Black is not a color i would have chosen without the adjustment. For 3K less, i can get the car in midnight silver, which the color I would have chosen. The black color in the model s just doesnt excite me that much. need some advice to clarify my thoughts!

Your thoughts aren't clear to me.

Car 1 - 75RWD black but you don't like black
Car 2 - $3K more with silver

Gosh, I'm obsessed with color. I'd pay 3K more for a color I can live with. I generally keep cars for years.

On a 2 year lease would be a different question.

Black is a pain to keep clean for an exterior color.

Not sure where battery fits in here.

I don't have much advice for you. Get what makes you happy.

When I was much younger, I got my first new car on my own during college. I wanted a white car but given that model just refreshed and I wanted a stick shift, I didn't have much choices. I ended up with a black car which is like the only stick shift in the nation at the time. Every time I saw the same model in white on the road, I always thought the car looked pretty good (much better than my black). I did not regret it because I still enjoyed driving the car, just that there was always something in me that I really liked the white much more.

Good luck with your decision.

Have had both colors and unless the black offends you, take the bigger battery and better seats.
Both colors are nice in their own way. I have never heard of a Tesla owner with a 75W battery wish they had opted for 60.
From a different perspective, you can have the Black car professionally cleaned every week for 2 years with the savings.

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
... I have never heard of a Tesla owner with a 75W battery wish they had opted for 60.
From a different perspective, you can have the Black car professionally cleaned every week for 2 years with the savings.

I've had the S75 for about a couple months and jury is still out on whether it was worth it. Since the 60 can be charged to 100% for daily driving it hasn't made any difference. We have yet to go on a road trip though but not sure the extra range will make a difference with the supercharger density here in the Southwest.

sorry - 3K less for the midnight silver, 60 RWD and no next gen seats.

However $3K in savings does not compensate for 75kWh upgrade and next gen seats. My 2 cents would be to go with the 75. Midnight silver is my favorite color but black and tan is pretty sharp too!

Good luck!

some thoughts from my recent purchase:

- color: i went with midnight after back and forth between that and black. 1) decided that i don't like washing my car that much. 2) my interior was black headliner and black seats so it great to have some different color somewhere on the car. 3) you sometimes don't see all the detail on a darker car. so for me, the midnight silver was a choice that addressed all 3 of those, but it was nitpicky bec i needed a tie breaker.

- battery: i got a 60. my commute is 90 miles, and I can drive around all weekend before i 'need' to charge. it also depended on my budget. this was the the max that i wanted to spend on a car so anything extra had to add value. the extra battery didn't because i would not be using the additional range. for the past week, i've been charging to 140 miles and it has been more than enough. so if i paid more, it would just be sitting there and i'd probably still charge to 140 miles. we also have a van for longer trips so that wasn't ever going to come into play for me.

- seats: didn't get next gen seats. wondered about that too but the basic ones are nice and comfy enough, and other friends who have seen the car said looks/feels sporty. also, because it was on the upper end of budget, the value i got from the seats wasn't worth it for me... but that's just me, because i found the existing seats comfortable and sufficient. others really need leather, which is a personal choice. i also had a hard time getting in and out of the next gen because of the sides and didn't want to have to get used to that.

if it were me, I'd go for 3K less but mostly because i ended up picking midnight silver and was good with the next gen seats and didn't need the battery. every situation is different so good luck!

PS on the color. I had questioned my decision while the car was on order but I think it's because it's hard to visualize this color in my mind. any time i saw it posted and esp when i saw it in person, i remembered why i chose it in the first place.

I've had the S75 for about a couple months and jury is still out on whether it was worth it. Since the 60 can be charged to 100% for daily driving it hasn't made any difference. We have yet to go on a road trip though but not sure the extra range will make a difference with the supercharger density here in the Southwest.

However $3K in savings does not compensate for 75kWh upgrade and next gen seats. My 2 cents would be to go with the 75. Midnight silver is my favorite color but black and tan is pretty sharp too!

Good luck!
Should you not charge the 75 to 100%?

I don't have much advice for you. Get what makes you happy.

When I was much younger, I got my first new car on my own during college. I wanted a white car but given that model just refreshed and I wanted a stick shift, I didn't have much choices. I ended up with a black car which is like the only stick shift in the nation at the time. Every time I saw the same model in white on the road, I always thought the car looked pretty good (much better than my black). I did not regret it because I still enjoyed driving the car, just that there was always something in me that I really liked the white much more.

Good luck with your decision.

I had a similar story - wanted a red car when I was out shopping years ago, but the model year was ending so supply was limited. I didn't want to pay the higher prices for the newer model year when it came out just to get a red one, so I settled on a charcoal gray. It was a nice car and I did enjoy it, but every time I saw the red one, I thought - man, that's NICE - I wished I could have bought that one. ;)

I was going to make my Model 3 the first car I ever picked the exact color combo I wanted with no compromises, but now I am shopping CPO's and compromising on colors. :rolleyes: