Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma - stick or twist re vehicle choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered a RAV4 PHEV early in 2022 and whilst waiting for delivery (8 mnths) I was fortunate to find an inventory MY LR in March. I ran the MY for 5k miles and sold it in October when the RAV was delivered.

The plan was to run both and then make a decision on which to keep but with electric price rises,we decided to sell the MY at just above list price.

We love Teslas, but the reduced cost benefits of owning it along with a nagging discomfort of owning a £60k car which would likely cause some range anxiety on travels, meant we sold.

If you go PHEV, the RAV4 is probably the best option IMHO. Positives are:
- Seemless integration of EV and petrol
- 50 mile range outside of winter
- 36 mile range when -8 degrees
- 65 mpg when battery is flat
- much preferred by passengers as calmer power delivery, braking and ride comfort

Mind, even though the RAV is punchy, you'd miss the thrill of flooring the Tesla!

Very nice! Ours is more of a swamper (faux by faux mind you, not 4 motion) a manual, 110 and my one wish is that they made a 6 speed manual or that we went for DSG. It would make long motorway stints much better. One thing I will say for the manual is it's a bit easier to work around VW's very picky traction control when trying to get through and out of muddy tracks / fields! :D

With the 110 engine you do have to be more weight conscious - we've gone full lightweight materials in ours whereas you see people driving around in 110's or even 90's that are absolutely laden with heavy cabinetry and kit - struggling!

The swamper look is very cool.

Having “gone automatic” in my last two ICE cars before electric, I couldn’t revert to manual when we bought the van. The DSG box is pretty good, we drove down through France last summer and it was a pleasure to drive. I really like the driving position and all round feel of driving the van. Total different to the Tesla but enjoyable in its own way.

Need to try some muddy tracks, I’m sure the Brecon Beacons or Scotland will provide this opportunity soon!

We ordered a RAV4 PHEV early in 2022 and whilst waiting for delivery (8 mnths) I was fortunate to find an inventory MY LR in March. I ran the MY for 5k miles and sold it in October when the RAV was delivered.

The plan was to run both and then make a decision on which to keep but with electric price rises,we decided to sell the MY at just above list price.

We love Teslas, but the reduced cost benefits of owning it along with a nagging discomfort of owning a £60k car which would likely cause some range anxiety on travels, meant we sold.

If you go PHEV, the RAV4 is probably the best option IMHO. Positives are:
- Seemless integration of EV and petrol
- 50 mile range outside of winter
- 36 mile range when -8 degrees
- 65 mpg when battery is flat
- much preferred by passengers as calmer power delivery, braking and ride comfort

Mind, even though the RAV is punchy, you'd miss the thrill of flooring the Tesla!

RAV 4 has always been a good car, no surprise that the PHEV model is a decent choice. I’d have looked at it for sure if I’d concluded that the PHEV route was for us. It would have been on my shortlist of 3 along with the new Kia Sportage. Not sure what the 3rd would be as I decided to stick with the Model Y.

Another 200 mile round trip to Heathrow with a week of parking in between (sentry mode off) and once again I had to stop at Membury to charge up on the way home. I would have made it home with 6% or so without stopping according to the trip graph, but my range anxiety won't allow that so I stopped to charge for 15 minutes.

Seems to me the "real life" range of my Model Y LR is more like 200 miles in winter months, I'd expected it to me a bit more than that to be honest.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Seems to me the "real life" range of my Model Y LR is more like 200 miles in winter months

If it was cold when you came back your "self off penalty" to warm the car would have been significant. Ditto if the car was not pre-conditioned (off grid) before departure from home - and charged to 100%?

I would have made it home with 6%

I wonder if dropping to, say, 50 MPH would have added more than 15 minutes (plus a few mins to get OFF and back ON the road maybe?) to the trip ...

... but I find it hard to persuade myself to drive at 50 rather than splash-and-dash (notwithstanding that charging site might be busy / have to wait etc)

If it was cold when you came back your "self off penalty" to warm the car would have been significant. Ditto if the car was not pre-conditioned (off grid) before departure from home - and charged to 100%?

It was cold and I did, of course, pre condition the climate control to warm the interior up while collecting our baggage. A feature I love and probably use far too much :)

I wonder if dropping to, say, 50 MPH would have added more than 15 minutes (plus a few mins to get OFF and back ON the road maybe?) to the trip ...

... but I find it hard to persuade myself to drive at 50 rather than splash-and-dash (notwithstanding that charging site might be busy / have to wait etc)

Yes I probably could have made it without stopping if I’d dropped to 50mph but that would have been more tedious than the chosen method of setting the cruise at 75mph and stopping at Membury for a quick boost of electrons. The M4 was quiet at the time we drove back so we were the only Tesla charging, no real risk of having to wait post 10pm on a Monday night.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Yes I probably could have made it without stopping if I’d dropped to 50mph but that would have been more tedious than the chosen method of setting the cruise at 75mph and stopping at Membury for a quick boost of electrons. The M4 was quiet at the time we drove back so we were the only Tesla charging, no real risk of having to wait post 10pm on a Monday night.
I’m afraid the displayed range is unlikely to allow for driving above the speed limit even though it’s standard practice. Even 5mph will make the difference and would likely have been enough to give an acceptable cushion.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I’m afraid the displayed range is unlikely to allow for driving above the speed limit even though it’s standard practice. Even 5mph will make the difference and would likely have been enough to give an acceptable cushion.

Indeed. I know this and also appreciate that the rated range for EVs is also based on a 58mph ish speed, similar to the old mpg ratings for ICE vehicles. Rather different to real world driving but it’s been thus since marketers got involved in the car industry :)