Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I have a small dilemma. I was able to purchase a stealth performance with 19s. I don’t want the 19s, but there is no 18 option. So the incentives right now allow a free $1500 wheel upgrade OR 2 years free super charging, not both (contrary to what was told to me). I live in CA with work near a SC and drive 22k miles per year or so. My home charge rate will be around .10-.11 vs the .22 regular rates. What would you opt for? Wheels or supercharging?

In terms of Supercharging, how much will you actually use it to accrue some actual monetary benefit from it to offset the inconvenience of charging away from home (even if the SC is nearby)? Do you plan on doing a lot of road trips or do you plan to use Supercharging in lieu of (or to supplement) home charging?

Do the math to gauge how much that two-year's of free Supercharging will be worth to you based on anticipated usage. Is it more or less than the $1,500 wheel upgrade? Finally, which is more important to you in terms of either giving you more pleasure or utility? Left brain vs. right brain.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I have a small dilemma. I was able to purchase a stealth performance with 19s. I don’t want the 19s, but there is no 18 option. So the incentives right now allow a free $1500 wheel upgrade OR 2 years free super charging, not both (contrary to what was told to me). I live in CA with work near a SC and drive 22k miles per year or so. My home charge rate will be around .10-.11 vs the .22 regular rates. What would you opt for? Wheels or supercharging?
My guess is that you can probably find someone with 18"s that would be happy to swap with you plus a little cash maybe even.

Reactions: tvad
Also, what would the free wheel upgrade be? Would that be to 20s? That may be the better option IF you find a buyer now that’s willing to purchase them as soon as you take the car. I’m not sure if that would open the market more to you, or close some of it off but demand a higher price.

Wheel and tire packages from Tesla are ~$2k for the 18s with better tires than what Tesla delivers the car with. 20” are $4k online... if you found someone willing to buy for $3k they would get a fantastic deal (compared to buying new direct from Tesla) and you would get your 18s + great summer tires and pocket $1k. (Worth ~10,000 kWh of home charging?)

It’s performance without the brakes, spoiler and 20s. I think I’m going to take the 2 years free SC and pay the $1500 wheels upgrade and then maybe sell/trade them down the line. If I use it a few times a month it should come close to $1500 over two years. I can get back some money on the wheels but I can’t trade in the 2 years SC.

I had a similar situation. They gave me a free upgrade to 19” wheels but I wanted the 18’s. I sold my 19’s on Craigslist for $2,100 and bought a set of 18’s with 1,000 miles on them for $600.

Regarding the supercharging, I never use it. I also pay .10/KwH. I drive around 900 miles per month and I pay around $25.00/month in electricity to charge the car. That’s less than $1/day. There is no way I’m going to waste my time at a supercharger to save $1.00/day.

If I were you I would lock in the free wheel upgrade. It’s a guaranteed savings of $1,500 versus trying to make up the $1,500 by using a supercharger that you don’t really need to use. Sell the wheels if you wish, or just enjoy them and switch to 18’s when it’s time to replace the tires.

Reactions: bijan and C141medic
Thanks OCR1 - it's a tough choice. I drive around 1900 miles per month and sometimes it's on jobs that are 150-220+ miles round trip. It seems that I may have the option of recouping my $1500 based on your very same situation. At 1900 miles @ 10kwh, with an average of 250 miles per full charge, it's about $80 month for me. Maybe taking the 1500 would be a better option...IDK, I already told them to go ahead w/ the free SC.

Thanks OCR1 - it's a tough choice. I drive around 1900 miles per month and sometimes it's on jobs that are 150-220+ miles round trip. It seems that I may have the option of recouping my $1500 based on your very same situation. At 1900 miles @ 10kwh, with an average of 250 miles per full charge, it's about $80 month for me. Maybe taking the 1500 would be a better option...IDK, I already told them to go ahead w/ the free SC.

Wouldn’t you still get 2,000 free miles if you used a referral code when you placed the order?

So are the 18” aero wheels different on the performance than on the other cars? Or do the performance vehicles have hardware modifications to allow the 18s?
I believe the rims have notches where the rim mounts to the wheel hub. I can't seem to find the original video showing it. Best to check with service or perhaps someone here knows more details. I have the 20" and like them, so I've never explored other options.

Wouldn’t you still get 2,000 free miles if you used a referral code when you placed the order?

Yes, you're right. So here is my math:

I just found that over the last year I drove 2083 miles. I divide that by an average 250 miles per full charge (I don't anticipate I'll hit 310 consistently as I have a heavy foot and want to be reasonable) results in 8.332 charges per month (this may be less - my driving is variable but has been around 1900-2100 over the last 7 years). At 8.332 charges at ~$11 per full charge (on 10kwh) I'm looking at ~$92 per month in electricity. Say I used the super charger near my office for 2/3rds of that at 10 months per year...so that's ~$60 X 10 X 2: $1200. That means the rims cost $300. So $1200 free supercharging or $1500 free rims. I may have to rethink my decision. If I chose to super charge for $80 a month, it would be in my interest to stay w/ the SC. It's really a tough choice. You may have a point.

With that being said, at 22kwh we're looking at 2400-3600 over the two years. I'm going to see if they will let me make my decision on which incentive I'd like to take by tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. So here is my math:

I just found that over the last year I drove 2083 miles. I divide that by an average 250 miles per full charge (I don't anticipate I'll hit 310 consistently as I have a heavy foot and want to be reasonable) results in 8.332 charges per month (this may be less - my driving is variable but has been around 1900-2100 over the last 7 years). At 8.332 charges at ~$11 per full charge (on 10kwh) I'm looking at ~$92 per month in electricity. Say I used the super charger near my office for 2/3rds of that at 10 months per year...so that's ~$60 X 10 X 2: $1200. That means the rims cost $300. So $1200 free supercharging or $1500 free rims. I may have to rethink my decision. If I chose to super charge for $80 a month, it would be in my interest to stay w/ the SC. It's really a tough choice. You may have a point.

With that being said, at 22kwh we're looking at 2400-3600 over the two years. I'm going to see if they will let me make my decision on which incentive I'd like to take by tomorrow.

Just make sure you factor in the value of your time in your analysis. I have 10,000 free miles that I never use. There is nothing better than pulling in to your driveway at night, plugging the car in, and waking up to a fully charged battery the next morning. The free wheel upgrade is a guaranteed $1,500 in your pocket with no requirement to ever waste your time at a supercharger. And slow charging is better for your battery too.

Reactions: bijan
I believe the rims have notches where the rim mounts to the wheel hub. I can't seem to find the original video showing it. Best to check with service or perhaps someone here knows more details. I have the 20" and like them, so I've never explored other options.

Nothing to check- the hub thing is on the P3D+, he's buying a P3D- that has the same hubs, brakes, and wheel options as all non-P Model 3s do.

Reactions: bijan