Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect Model Y delivery end of Oct to beginning of November.
I met a guy in my neighborhood who just took delivery of same Y as the one I ordered. He ordered his at the end of July, same as I. He received his a month early.
I need 2 weeks to sell my 2018 Model 3. Y could be delivered any day. Will Tesla understand that I need time to sell M3 ?

No, they won't understand that you need time to sell the 3. By the time you get VIN/confirmed delivery date... you're gonna need to get your $$ in place. It's possible because of beginning of quarter they COULD push it back a couple days. Either that or.... get bumped back in line. If you're selling to private party I'd suggest you get started soon...

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Will Tesla understand that I need time to sell M3 ?

Not likely (them understanding or making any sort of accommodation because you are not ready, and need to sell your current vehicle first).

You will have to take delivery with a few days of the date they schedule you, for the most part. Otherwise, they will likely tell you "thats fine, we will assign that vehicle to someone else. Let us know when you are ready and we will put you back in the queue".

No, they won't understand that you need time to sell the 3. By the time you get VIN/confirmed delivery date... you're gonna need to get your $$ in place. It's possible because of beginning of quarter they COULD push it back a couple days. Either that or.... get bumped back in line. If you're selling to private party I'd suggest you get started soon...

Do you know how many days I have after VIN/ confirmed delivery date ? I need 4 days just to transfer $ from online bank acct.
Thanks for your reply.

Do you know how many days I have after VIN/ confirmed delivery date ? I need 4 days just to transfer $ from online bank acct.
Thanks for your reply.

You might be able to get 4 days... but may not be able to get 7 days (as an example). You certainly will not be able to say "I need to schedule delivery of that vin off a couple weeks". They would say "sure, we will release that vin to someone else, let us know when you are ready and we will put you back in the queue".

Of course, it depends on the circumstances. I had a delivery scheduled for a Saturday, they told me 2 days before that car was arriving a day late, and they let me push out delivery a full week, no questions.

Of course, it depends on the circumstances. I had a delivery scheduled for a Saturday, they told me 2 days before that car was arriving a day late, and they let me push out delivery a full week, no questions.
Hi bc70: I called local Tesla dealership. Salesman said that from the time I’m assigned a VIN, I have at least 7 days to get my cash together. Does that sound right to you? I thought I’d have more days than that.

HiyoSilver, I was notified 8/28 with my VIN, and to pick my delivery date. I got nagged a few times via email, and then was told 9/3 or 4 to do it by the end of the day or lose my slot. I picked 9/11 as the delivery date. I was notified 9/9 that the car wouldn't be ready, and I could pick any available time in the next week. I picked 9/16 due to my schedule, and picked up the car then. I didn't pay them anything until that time. Once the communication got to the delivery center, it was super easy and straightforward.

Reactions: HiyoSilver
HiyoSilver, I was notified 8/28 with my VIN, and to pick my delivery date. I got nagged a few times via email, and then was told 9/3 or 4 to do it by the end of the day or lose my slot. I picked 9/11 as the delivery date. I was notified 9/9 that the car wouldn't be ready, and I could pick any available time in the next week. I picked 9/16 due to my schedule, and picked up the car then. I didn't pay them anything until that time. Once the communication got to the delivery center, it was super easy and straightforward.
Thanks. So, if I really needed 2 weeks, I could probably get them, eh?

You’re from Mass. I’ve never been, but read about Cambridge and 2 books by David McCullough: John Adams and 1776.
I’m surprised how many Teslas there are in Cincinnati area, but I’m probably looking for them.
Cincinnati is EV friendly. I have green sticker that lets me park at any meter and in some garages no charge.