Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 p85+ that I special ordered. It only has 16,000 miles on it, and has been flawless. My dilemma is do I sell it and get the P100D. From what I can tell, my $125K car is only worth around $65K now. To replace it with the P100D it is about a $150K. The dilemma is what is the the net gain for an additional $85K. I am wondering what is the future of older Teslas. Is there going to be a hardware upgrade, battery upgrade and other components to increase their value? It would be nice to know if there is a future plan for older Teslas. Once you have owned a Tesla, no other car seems adequate. Anybody facing this dilemma? Thoughts?

I have a 2013 p85+ that I special ordered. It only has 16,000 miles on it, and has been flawless. My dilemma is do I sell it and get the P100D. From what I can tell, my $125K car is only worth around $65K now. To replace it with the P100D it is about a $150K. The dilemma is what is the the net gain for an additional $85K. I am wondering what is the future of older Teslas. Is there going to be a hardware upgrade, battery upgrade and other components to increase their value? It would be nice to know if there is a future plan for older Teslas. Once you have owned a Tesla, no other car seems adequate. Anybody facing this dilemma? Thoughts?

There's been some significant quality improvements. I've had a couple of loaners from 2012-2013 and the difference was dramatic.

With that said, if I were in your shoes; I'm not sure I'd be willing to part with almost another $100k for essentially the same car. Especially if you do not need the dual motors.

The P100D Teslas are all equipped with Autopilot 2.0 + Full Self Driving hardware, available via paid software unlock. AP2/Enhanced Autopilot is currently receiving regular over-the-air updates to enable new features, eventually FSD will as well (but when is anybody's guess — don't believe any timeline Elon gives).

As for hardware upgrades... Tesla's never shown much interest in that. They'd rather you buy a new car. They offered it for P90D to P100D owners for $20,000, but as far as I know none of those upgrades have been executed (or at least very few have).

That said, a new Tesla of any trim will be a marked upgrade from your current car. The 2017 fit-and-finish is miles beyond 2013. And Autopilot is a revelation. If I were you I might even consider just a 100D — you'll save a bunch and get a lot more range!

I never had a 2013, but what I can tell you is the 100d is really nice -- super happy! No need for FSD yet, it will be a long time before anything about that delivers value. I *really* wanted the "P" (P100d), but couldn't justify another 40k (yes, out the door cost the "P" costs you about 40k for the same trim) for the faster 0-60 and red brakes. Instead, I painted my brakes red using the G2 kit and hi-temp labels (one evening, and about $60), and I just have to accept 0-60 in 4.2 instead of 2.4 -- and as an ex racer, speed matters, but one has to be in a place financially where 40k for 1.8s improvement is worth it.

I would have paid 10k for that, but not 40k. But huge kudos to those that can and do, no doubt 2.4s is a RUSH.

IMHO there's no universally correct answer for your main question, which is basically whether to spend $85K to be able to have the latest and best Tesla Model S. For some people it makes perfect sense. For others, it doesn't (or may not even be financially possible). Not knowing you personally, and not having a lot of information from your initial post, it's hard for anybody to give you concrete advice.

If you keep your current car, there might be a few updates (parking sensors? LTE?) possible for it, but none of them will make any changes/improvements to the range or performance. Since you're contemplating going from a P85+ to a P100D, I'd guess that those are not significant to you.

On one hand you say your current car is "flawless" but on the other hand you're contemplating spending what to me seems a huge sum of money to replace it. If you can articulate exactly what aspects of your current car you like and what you find lacking, that will probably help your decision process.

Good luck!

Bruce.

If you've been pleased with how your P85+ handles, remember that its upgraded suspension was the best that Tesla ever offered, and has since been discontinued. Also, if you've been used to the quiet ride in your RWD car, going to a dual-motor AWD vehicle may give you some pause for nostalgia, because the front motor whine will be noticeable. And of course, the frunk is a tiny shadow of its former self.

Now, if you're a frequent long distance driver, Autopilot/TACC is definitely a huge deal. The extra range in a 100 battery is also significant. But since you only have 16,000 miles on a 4-year-old car, is that actually a motivating factor?

That P 85 + is a collectors item from what I have read. I drove a p85 as a loaner last week and totally enjoyed the experience. Nice car. My car is a 90D refresh and as I do enjoy auto pilot 1, if I didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it. Because of the software upgrades, most everything was the same, smooth and fast.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak

$65k seems generous, considering a similar 2014 P85+ is only bid up to ~$48k on Ebay. is that your trade-in offer from Tesla?
2014 Tesla Model S P85+ | eBay

Hardware upgrades are unlikely to boost the value to the level of their costs. If you have time, definitely get the extended warranty, for both yourself and also to boost the resale value.
With your kind of driving (16k miles in 4 years), auto pilot or another new car seems hard to justify. But everyone's situation is different. If there is excess money to be spent, there got to be a way.

I never had a 2013, but what I can tell you is the 100d is really nice -- super happy! No need for FSD yet, it will be a long time before anything about that delivers value. I *really* wanted the "P" (P100d), but couldn't justify another 40k (yes, out the door cost the "P" costs you about 40k for the same trim) for the faster 0-60 and red brakes. Instead, I painted my brakes red using the G2 kit and hi-temp labels (one evening, and about $60), and I just have to accept 0-60 in 4.2 instead of 2.4 -- and as an ex racer, speed matters, but one has to be in a place financially where 40k for 1.8s improvement is worth it.

I would have paid 10k for that, but not 40k. But huge kudos to those that can and do, no doubt 2.4s is a RUSH.
Some cheap racing stripes will make your car go 0-60 in 3 secs.;)

The longer you take to decide, the more money you'll save :)
Your old car will be losing value more slowly than the new one would be.

If the old one is depreciating at $10k/year and the new one would be $20k/year, you're saving $10k/year, or $200/week, while you're waiting.

About a buck an hour!

Well .. depends. If $ is not a concern, then of course the newest best is the way to go.

However, if you are trying to get mileage out of your $'s and have money to spend,

- The P85+ is still a VERY nice car, better than 90% of the cars on the road. Nothing wrong with holding on to it.
- The P85D AP1 CPO or used may be a very attractive bargain, it is an upgrade of your P85+ and it's going to save you 70-80K
- Or just wait a year and pick up a used 90/100D, or wait 2 years and pick up a P100D for the same price.

Me personally, I have a 70D. 2 years in, very happy. But in 2 years once FSD is smoothed out, I'll upgrade to an AP2 FSD.
And I think in 2 years from now, a 100D would be ~70/80K.

BTW, the CPOs - I think a lot of them have gone through as a loaner. And man people do abuse loaners.
Me personally, I think I'll look for a private seller and buy the extended warranty. Not only will it be cheaper, it'll be a one driver car, and depending on the driver, probably babied and taken care of (like mine).

PS: I've gotten the following loaners S85x2, P85Dx1, P85+x1

- 2013 S85 older, I was happy to get my car back. Phew, the difference is quite a bit. Honestly I didn't enjoy the car as much (compared to mine of course)
- 2014 P85D - damn that thing is scary. I had so much fun in it, even though my loaner was quite beaten up.
- 2014 P85+ - I missed AP big time, but this car even with 2x the miles of 2014 P85D was in a much better shape. Driving it was fun. But I did miss AP a lot. And P85D is distinctly faster than P85+.

And yes, my 70D feels slow after driving the P85D. I am hoping Elon does not live through his promise of offering P100Ds as loaners.