Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilution of Performance Model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you specify which new front and rear tire size, maker, and model did you installed?

Which tires manufacturer and tire model were originally installed for the Front 255/35-21 and Rear 275/35-21?
F 265/40r21
R 295/35r21

38-39 psi

Michelin Pilot All Season 4 (truly excellent)

OEM are (were) PZeros. Tesla has now seemingly switched to the Michelins for at least some deliveries…

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
F 265/40r21
R 295/35r21

38-39 psi

OEM are (were) PZeros. Tesla has now seemingly switched to the Michelins for at least some deliveries…
Oh ok I thought you would have just stuck with the 275/35’s and moved them to the front wheels while putting 295’s on the rear!
That way only buying the 295’s and selling the 255’s.

Agreed 38/39 psi the way to go. How’s the feel now compared to oem setup?

Can you send some pics?

I mean I'm as big of a Tesla fanboy as the next, but if you think buying a Model Y Performance puts you in some sort of special club I think you're gonna have to spend another 20-30k. Model Ys are as ubiquitous as a Camry these days and the only people that would look at the car and be like oh, that's got different wheels it must be fast as hell, probably are on this forum. It's not like BMW or Audi where at least their performance cars wear different kit.

BTW, no judgements here. I loved being one of the first 18k on the road, and have a new MYP coming on Tuesday, but in the mall parking lot today, every 20th car was a Tesla. Made me think, guess I'm not special anymore. Still have a Fisker Ocean Reservation if I need to scratch that itch next year I suppose.

I would certainly like my car to be more "special", but at this point I'm realistic about the MYP being more and more common. Fortunately the number of people owning MYPs doesn't affect its acceleration numbers, so that's good enough for me. I mean, I drove Honda Odysseys for 13 years before the MYP, so I'm used to seeing every other vehicle being the same as mine around these parts!

Reactions: beantownrich
I mean I'm as big of a Tesla fanboy as the next, but if you think buying a Model Y Performance puts you in some sort of special club I think you're gonna have to spend another 20-30k. Model Ys are as ubiquitous as a Camry these days and the only people that would look at the car and be like oh, that's got different wheels it must be fast as hell, probably are on this forum. It's not like BMW or Audi where at least their performance cars wear different kit.

BTW, no judgements here. I loved being one of the first 18k on the road, and have a new MYP coming on Tuesday, but in the mall parking lot today, every 20th car was a Tesla. Made me think, guess I'm not special anymore. Still have a Fisker Ocean Reservation if I need to scratch that itch next year I suppose.
I hear you there :) MYP coming in 3 weeks yet here we are for possible replacement of M3 next year .🤷🏽‍♂️ Love the styling, satin blue ext, blue suede interior, rotating screen. Solar panel pano roof, 640km range..a lot to offer.

B26F6EBF-5B4A-4D7B-A2BE-300202E3E049.png

I hear you there :) MYP coming in 3 weeks yet here we are for possible replacement of M3 next year .🤷🏽‍♂️ Love the styling, satin blue ext, blue suede interior, rotating screen. Solar panel pano roof, 640km range..a lot to offer.

View attachment 786495

I contemplated the Fisker Ocean for a while, it's a nice car. I decided to go with the quad motor Rivian, hence the name profile name "quad motor." Really can't go wrong with either though.

Oh ok I thought you would have just stuck with the 275/35’s and moved them to the front wheels while putting 295’s on the rear!
That way only buying the 295’s and selling the 255’s.

Agreed 38/39 psi the way to go. How’s the feel now compared to oem setup?

Can you send some pics?
You’re spot on: had my MYP been delivered with the now standard Pilot All-Season 4 rubber, I would have moved the rears to the front and only purchased two new tires. Alas, mine was delivered with the summer-only PZeros so they all had to go…. One benefit, however, is my new setup has virtually identical sidewall dimensions front/rear which wouldn’t have been the case otherwise. Overall, very happy (would do same again).

I went with a MYP for a few reasons, with the weighting of each reason next to it. I live in Kalamazoo, Michigan - all season tires (or better) are a must in the winter.
  • Looks. Induction 20” adds 2k to a MYLR. Did not prefer the MYLR base rim. The spoiler is a nice touch. The lowered look gives it a sportier appearance. The aluminum pedals are a nice touch. 35%
  • Quicker delivery. I wanted the vehicle now, not in 7 months. You only live once. 35%
  • Performance. PUP adds to the cost, and the car still isn’t as fast as a MYP. MYLR isn’t slow, but it isn’t as impressive as the MYP. MYP has upgraded brakes, so technically it should have better braking performance. 20%
  • After MYLR upgrades, it was a small price increase. 10%
I don’t notice (or mind) the ride quality. The roads are so bad around me, that I just blame them. I am sure if I test drove a Model X and a MYP, I might be able to notice the difference. I felt the MYP was the best choice for me. It was a pleasant surprise to know the MYP would come with all-season tires, heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, heated windshield wipers. It is a fantastic winter vehicle.

Some buyers are going to share similar views. Some buyers are going to have different preferences. I think both models will remain in demand for various reasons. The lower cost of the MYLR, better ride quality and added range is appealing.

Reactions: Destiny1701
F 265/40r21
R 295/35r21

38-39 psi

I was going to do

F 275/35r21
R 295/35r21

Tire calculator says 0.6" taller circumference for front, 0.5" for rear.

Can you explain why you went with the sizes you picked? I want to make sure I'm not missing something LOL

I was going to do

F 275/35r21
R 295/35r21

Tire calculator says 0.6" taller circumference for front, 0.5" for rear.

Can you explain why you went with the sizes you picked? I want to make sure I'm not missing something LOL
Had my OEM rears been delivered in all-season spec, I would have moved them forward resulting in the spec you’ve outlined above. As this wasn’t the case, I opted for the 265/40r21 spec on the front to more closely match both the overall diameter and sidewall height of the 295/35r21 rears. Either approach should work IMO. Good luck.

Reactions: OsidePunker
I know several P owners and the first thing they do is look for a used set of 19” Gemini tires/wheels to soften the ride, provide all season capability, get more and cheaper tire options with longer tread wear and get some range back.

That’s what my plan will be when I order my PMY. In fact I’ll probably buy the first set of 19” tires/wheels before I take delivery.

If price of tires is the main motivator, you may want to consider getting the 20" rather than the 19"... For the most popular tires, the 20" version is actually cheaper than the 19" version, if you get a slightly bigger sidewall, which if you are considering 19" you'd probably opt for anyways.

Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 255/45-19: $293
Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 255/45-20: $256

Conti DWS 06-Plus 255/45-19: $255
Conti DWS-06 Plus 255/45-20: $220

Vredestein Quatrac Pro 255/45-19: $228
Vredestein Quatrac Pro 255/45-20: $219

around here in SF, you can't swing a cat without hitting 3 of them. As for the LR vs the P, unless you're really interested, could you tell the difference?

If you want to differentiate yourself, it's with a wrap that gets away from the limited monocolor options from the factory. At the risk of highlighting yourselves to law enforcement. My last speeding ticket was in 2008, but not sure how long that will last now. This car is faster than I'd drive any of my motorcycles, and faster than the BMWs I did most of my miles on.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Yeah, I never considered any Tesla “special” particularly the Y. They are pretty ubiquitous around where I live. They are basically the BMW 3 series of 15 years ago to me. As my company has us going back to the office and with fewer mass transit options, I purchased a MYP and did it for the following reasons:

-Cuts the line as you mention, price gap has closed between LR and P.
-It just looks nicer with a lower stance, nicer wheels, bigger brakes, and the spoiler

But I also never looked at it as the difference between a 3 series and an M3. To me this was more like the difference between Macan and a Macan S or BMW 3 and 3 m40i. This may sound insulting but as an owner of a MYP, I just view it as an EV Subaru Outback more than anything else - highly practical but nothing to write home about.

I will say I find the car very practical and generally great for daily use. But yeah, I find myself longing for something a little more special. Not necessarily more exclusive but something that feels more elevated with a sense of occasion. When I put my MYP deposit down last Nov, I also put a deposit for a BMW IX and a Rivian. I also test drove the EQS but it was too big for my garage. I would love a Taycan Cross Turismo but when optioned I was near $140-$150k and the dealerships near me didn’t have allocations. I’ve since test driven the IX and my current plan is in August when it is delivered, I will trade in the MYP (as the current residuals are holding up nicely). To me the IX also isn’t “special” or exclusive because its basically an EV X5 but given its price point its more like the equivalent of the X5 M50I which I see around but less so. And its not a X5M. But based on the test drive it appears to provide all the things I’m missing in the MYP. Build quality looks superior. Air suspension was sublime. Wind noise/road noise was vastly reduced. Rear wheel steering helps it feel just as agile despite the size vs Y (and perhaps even more useful in parking lots). And heads up display and Apple CarPlay are things I miss in the MYP.

If we can get comfortable with being a full on EV family, perhaps I’ll get rid of my X5 m50i, but I’m not sure if we are there yet. We’ll see how the summer goes first. And then in late 2023/early 2024 I’m scheduled to get the Rivian. This one is a big question mark for me. On paper, the R1S looks superior to both the MYP and IX but I have doubts on their ability to scale and I’ve already learn with the Tesla that the service infrastructure on these EV only companies just isn’t there yet. The Model X its not part of the equation for me just because of the price hikes, and availability and basically it seems overpriced for what it is. 0-60 in <3.5 for the base model doesn’t impress me that much and more concerned about the annoyance of those gullwing doors.

IMHO, the more Teslas on the road the better.

In 2007 when I bought my Prius, I found that some other drivers had a problem with the Prius (DC area). My driving never changed, but I was getting cut off, brake checked, and blocked form merging at a much higher rate than driving my other cars. A first I though it was me, but I talked to other Prius drivers, and they had the same issues I did. It was a thing. A couple years went by and you couldn't throw a stick without hitting a Prius. Slowly all the anti Prius behavior went away.

I suspect the more Teslas we see on the road the less often we will hear about anti Telsla incidents.