Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diminish value claim - need referral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was finally repaired and seems to be OK.

Background: I was rear-ended about a month ago. Cost of repair was around $13k or so. Other party was at-fault. Had to go through subrogation since the other insurance company thought their insured's limits might be too low.

Got car fixed through my insurance company, paid deductible.

Now i'm looking to file a diminished value claim.
Would somebody mind sending some referrals?

I'm in bay area California.

Reactions: whisperingshad
You need to find an in state appraisal company that can testify in court. Start by finding a lawyer that will back your DV claim, then get a local appraisal from who they recommend that they can use in court.

Don't use AutoLoss via the internet they are crap. They just pull comps from similar dealership listing off auto trader for pre-value and random state something like 20% for post value, then tell you to go get quotes to prove your post value (which doesn't work because carfax has not updated yet and then insurance just claims you were offered a low ball offer. Waste of time and money that company is.

@kdphan , any update on this?
Sent letter to other insurance company for diminished value claim. They rejected, which is typical.
Sent another letter stating that they need to provide more details of their estimate so that the diminished claim expert i'm working with can refute their rejection.

It's been about a week and I have not heard back from the other insurance company, which is typical as well.

I will have to call them and make sure they're "actively" looking into my claim.

This process sucks, but it's expected.

Thanks for the update. My car has $8k damage and wondering if I should also claim DV.

Did you use an agency? Wonder why you had to send the letter and do the leg work. Shouldn't an agency do this like St Luice?
I'm using Petty Details to do the leg work.
They will help with the communication with the insurance company.

I expect this whole process to take at least 6 months.

Why such a long wait? Has your appraiser instructed you about the Unfair Claim Practices Act? No auto insurance claim should take that long to settle unless your appraisal is lacking in substance. Then, they can string you along indefinitely.
The insurance company flat out denied the claim. So I sent in my last letter (provided by appraiser). If not, then I will involve a lawyer.

Finding an attorney to handle a diminished value case without the added financial benefit of handling a personal injury may be difficult. I hear good things about Russell Kerr but not sure if he would travel to northern California. You could also seek the services of another independent appraiser. I have read much about insurers making inadequate settlement offers but outright denials aren't the norm. It would seem as if the insurer is confident they would win in court based on the proof you have offered.

Finding an attorney to handle a diminished value case without the added financial benefit of handling a personal injury may be difficult. I hear good things about Russell Kerr but not sure if he would travel to northern California. You could also seek the services of another independent appraiser. I have read much about insurers making inadequate settlement offers but outright denials aren't the norm. It would seem as if the insurer is confident they would win in court based on the proof you have offered.
I didn't expect this process and the insurance company to be reasonable with my diminished value claim.
To anyone having dealt with diminished value, it's obvious there's diminished value for a vehicle that has been in an accident. But to what extent, is the question.

For them to outright deny is the strange part to me. I expected them to come back with even a half-ass offer, but not even.

I also went with Petty Details. The other insurer denied my DV claim as well, but they provided no justification for their denial. Be prepared to go to small claims court. I did, and the commissioner ruled in my favor, awarding me 100% (plus filing fee) of what I asked for.

I also went with Petty Details. The other insurer denied my DV claim as well, but they provided no justification for their denial. Be prepared to go to small claims court. I did, and the commissioner ruled in my favor, awarding me 100% (plus filing fee) of what I asked for.
Thanks for the info.
I'm set on going to small claims court if they send another denial letter in the mail.