Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diminished Value Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got rear-ended while backing into a parking space. Idiot could not wait and cut behind me - denting just above charging door. Cost my insurance company $6,000 for the hit-run. The idiot could not see my tail lights from the side. It was full sun (noon time). Could not see the entire car. Different lights would not have made a difference in this case.

What is the deal with everyone getting rear-ended in their Teslas? It's not as if they have dim or small brake lights (personally I am a huge fan of the full-width third brake light)

I suppose the general driving population knows nothing of regenerative braking?
I just think it is a very common accident in general. I don't think it's a Tesla thing in particular. My Lexus has been rear-ended at least three times. I rear-ended a Subaru Legacy 20 years ago. I slid a couple of feet on the ice last week. That could have easily ended up as a rear-ender if the car in front of me was closer. Coincidentally my Model S is in the shop right now getting repaired after being rear-ended last Mother's Day. My uncle's Tesla got rear-ended last June. Maybe it is a Tesla thing, but I doubt it.

I just settled my DV claim. $4,500 door replacement cost. $6,200 DV paid to me. $2,000 paid to my lawyer. Total paid by the insurance company: $12,700. If they would have just paid for the complete repair of my car, I wouldn't have bothered with hiring a lawyer, but they left me having to pay $1,300 out of pocket to the auto body shop, because they refused to pay the "Tesla" labor rates.

Sorry to post this in two different threads, but I had to follow through with this post.
How did you find your lawyer and judge that they would be good at representing you.

My Tesla was the middle car in a 3 car pile up, with the person behind me at fault. His airbags deployed and the person in front on me had only scuffed bumper.

I had $7200 in repairs over a 4 week period. Was offer $2500 in DV, plus $5k for loss of use My performance model 3 cost $76,000 and was hit at less than 3 month old, less than 5000 miles. I have a car max appraisal after it was repaired for $47000. I feel as though I have a strong case but am trying a $300 online 3rd party DV appraisals service first. Not sure what to do.

I’m in CA and the wreck was in the LA area

I had $7200 in repairs over a 4 week period. Was offer $2500 in DV, plus $5k for loss of use My performance model 3 cost $76,000 and was hit at less than 3 month old, less than 5000 miles. I have a car max appraisal after it was repaired for $47000. I feel as though I have a strong case but am trying a $300 online 3rd party DV appraisals service first. Not sure what to do.

A CarMax appraisal by itself isn't a good leg to stand on, as it reflects their typicall lowballing and some upfront depreciation, so paying the $300 for a DV appraisal is a sound approach. The appraiser may have a legal counsel contact he/she has worked with in your area before..

If you were not given a paid rental during repairs and the $5k is to pay you back for your personal rental (or lack of a car, period), you are probably looking at a large enough delta to pursue. Just keep in mind the glacial pace of the legal process - being resolved in under a year would surprise me.

How did you find your lawyer and judge that they would be good at representing you.

My Tesla was the middle car in a 3 car pile up, with the person behind me at fault. His airbags deployed and the person in front on me had only scuffed bumper.

I’m in CA and the wreck was in the LA area
I initially paid an appraiser $400 to determine DV. I sent a demand letter to the insurance company and they ignored my letter. The appraiser gave me the name of a lawyer that took the case on percentage basis. If he didn't get a settlement for diminished value, then he wasn't going to charge me. He said it was an open and shut case due to Oregon's laws. As part of the settlement the insurance company also reimbursed me the $400 appraisal fee.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I had a small accident a month ago. (rear ended) 5k in damages.
I was originally offered 1500 in diminished value. I paid $350 with these guys [email protected].. or THE TESLA DIMINISHED VALUE PROJECT | TESLA MOTORS AND AUTOMOBILE DIMINISHED VALUE IN ALL 50 STATES

They did the appraisal and sent over a very professional document with 6 independent dealers info. The average consensus was $3800 for diminished value.

The insurance company then offered 3,000.. I settled with having them split the 350 appraisal fee with me..

I could have probably fought more.. but definitely helped get me more $$
I settled today....

I was originally offered 1500 in diminished value...

The insurance company then offered 3,000.. I settled with having them split the 350 appraisal fee with me...

Are you able to identify the insurance company you've dealt with? The small insurance company I've been dealing with remained stubborn even after receiving a DV appraisal, such that their best and final offer was 15% of the appraisals expected DV.

Are you able to identify the insurance company you've dealt with? The small insurance company I've been dealing with remained stubborn even after receiving a DV appraisal, such that their best and final offer was 15% of the appraisals expected DV.

Most insurance companies will not pay DM unless you have an attorney send them a demand letter. I just paid a friend to fire off a demand letter. You can also take them to small claims court....you most likely will win that way and it's pretty cheap to file.

Most insurance companies will not pay DM unless you have an attorney send them a demand letter. I just paid a friend to fire off a demand letter. You can also take them to small claims court....you most likely will win that way and it's pretty cheap to file.

Except in the case where the appraised DV exceeds small claims limits (the collision resulted in multiple airbag deployments/replacements), and when the insurance company moves very little on an offer after the attorney-assisted request. Currently in month four of legal proceedings...:(

I was originally offered 1500 in diminished value. I paid $350 with these guys [email protected].. or THE TESLA DIMINISHED VALUE PROJECT | TESLA MOTORS AND AUTOMOBILE DIMINISHED VALUE IN ALL 50 STATES

They did the appraisal and sent over a very professional document with 6 independent dealers info. The average consensus was $3800 for diminished value.

The insurance company then offered 3,000.. I settled with having them split the 350 appraisal fee with me..

I could have probably fought more.. but definitely helped get me more $$
I settled today....
Did they offer you $1500 without an appraisal? I was reversed into in a parking lot - ended up needing a whole new door. I haven't reached out yet to see if they offer anything.
Honestly if they gave me 1500 I'd just let it go and be done with it.