Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diminished value claim -- any successes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was successful with my previous vehicle Highlander hybrid that had over 20k worth of repair that was also nearly brand new. (Other driver’s fault running a red light witnessed by a motorcycle cop that was following me) Also had an injury so the PI attorney handled the diminished value claim. A third-party appraiser was engaged as well. I have a friend that was in the insurance business that told me the insurance companies really try to brush off diminished value claims.(He also recommended my attorney) I guess they find it a little harder to do so when an attorney is involved.

Used St Lucie on my P85D accident few years back ..quality service and I got the full amount of DV that they put in my appraisal..highly recommended..they did my friends 3 recently ..and same results ..;)

Used St Lucie on my P85D accident few years back ..quality service and I got the full amount of DV that they put in my appraisal..highly recommended..they did my friends 3 recently ..and same results ..;)

Thanks for that info. Can you provide some details? Feel free to DM me. Anyone else have experience with St. Lucie?

The company I went to for DV estimate and help with my claim hasn't done anything much beyond the report and offering a lawyer's name. Allstate flat out refused to entertain a DV claim for my accident, which is absurd.

Thanks for that info. Can you provide some details? Feel free to DM me. Anyone else have experience with St. Lucie?

The company I went to for DV estimate and help with my claim hasn't done anything much beyond the report and offering a lawyer's name. Allstate flat out refused to entertain a DV claim for my accident, which is absurd.

If Allstate has flatly said "there will be no DV", then purchasing a 2nd or 4th appraisal won't help, they'll stand firm and you'll just be out additional report fees. You're at small claims (or district/county, if damages are high enough) court time.

If Allstate has flatly said "there will be no DV", then purchasing a 2nd or 4th appraisal won't help, they'll stand firm and you'll just be out additional report fees. You're at small claims (or district/county, if damages are high enough) court time.

So angry they would just refuse to acknowledge any DV on my case, when it's so blatantly obvious, then to hear of success stories for what I'd consider less significant damage.

So angry they would just refuse to acknowledge any DV on my case, when it's so blatantly obvious, then to hear of success stories for what I'd consider less significant damage.

Unfortunately you're going to have to go to small claims if they're rejecting your DV claim. I went through something similar, where the other party's insurer offered nothing. They probably were hoping I'd give up. Took them to small claims, and got 100% of what I asked for.

A year ago my Performance Model 3 was damaged in an accident five days after I took delivery. The car was from Miami, Florida and the accident happened in New Brunswick. FWIW, the other driver was from Quebec and my car was driven by an Australian. My carrier, Progressive was exceedingly helpful. In the end I droive the car with all its damage back to Miami (long story, but Progressive paid for temporary repairs. At the time there was no body shop within a days driving distance that could repair the damage.

Due to the odd insurance treaty between Quebec and my jurisdiction Progressive paid the entire claim despite transparent documentation that the other driver was clearly at fault with documentation handily provided by the Quebec policemen who was following the culprit at the time.

Progressive paid the entire claim with zero deductible and , at their initiative, paid a diminished value claim of $6,000. Further, my insurance we to be renewed the following month in which I had a reduced premium and another year of 'no claims' benefit. Just how they came to regard all that as 'no claim' I do not quite understand. I was told that the driver of my car was not a fault, I was not driving and the otehr driver was at fault so they chalked it all up to treaty payments, not my history.

Further, the car had major damage and required two new wheels and tires but the alignment was perfect.

Can you share what the repair cost was? My 3800 p3 was hit. They did a quarter panel and other stuff for 14k. I paid for dv report and they concluded my DV was 15k, waiting on 3rd party insurance to reply.

IIRC it was ~$23,000. That included replacement of wrap, Alloy Gators etc. which would not have happened had it not been treated under the treaty payments terms according to my progressive claims processor. I don't recall all the details, since it all happened in 2018.

Actually the beef is with the other driver, he’s the one that caused the damage. DV is a real loss. Take the other driver to court then he can deal with it with his insurance company. If his insurance company refuses to cover his losses, it isn’t your worry it’s his.

Actually the beef is with the other driver, he’s the one that caused the damage. DV is a real loss. Take the other driver to court then he can deal with it with his insurance company. If his insurance company refuses to cover his losses, it isn’t your worry it’s his.

Correct, which is why I said he should not pay for more appraisals to try and convince the insurance company. I don't know CA law but I assume the suit must be filed against the driver (as it was for me in TX).

Interesting discussion. I was just clipped in rear bumper with very minor quarter panel damage (about to take it in for estimate) - other insurance has confirmed liability. What should I do to push for DV?

Unfortunately you will have a carfax report, just the existence of that carfax report is going to diminish the car’s value. Carfax isn’t very good about describing the extent of damage or repair, they will likely describe as a collision rear end. Carfax is poison.

If anyone tells you the carfax doesn’t matter, don’t believe them, it does. So you’ll need a relatively minor repair, your car will be perfect afterwards, but that damned carfax is going to be the major damage to the value of your car from this. Carfax won’t tell you where they get their information, they won’t correct information, but they will sell their reports and they’ll happily tell everyone that asks that your car has been wrecked.

Can you tell that I hate that miserable little company?