TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Diminished value claim...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by zambono, Apr 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zambono

zambono Member

Has anyone completed a diminished value claim after being in a collision not at fault? Bonus points if you have any experience in MD.

2. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

In Texas on my Yukon, and it went very smoothly depends alot on the insurance but I got a fair judgement.

You need to show what the car would be worth traded in with no damage, and then what it is worth now. A good idea is to deal with Tesla and pose the question as if you were going to trade it in for a new Model S, they will give you a fair assessment.

3. zambono

zambono Member

thank you

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I'm in the process of doing so now. After the repairs were complete I obtained DV estimates from two companies specializing in diminished value claims. We're currently butting heads with the at-fault insurer, Progressive, who is reported to be the absolute worst to deal with for diminished value claims.

5. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Tesla gave me a rough idea what they would offer on my car on trade. Then I took pictures and completed the paperwork. The paperwork did not ask about accidents, but the report I got back was that Tesla's background check revealed an accident about 3 years earlier, and that their offer was significantly lower as a result, perhaps $2,500 or $3,000. It's hard to subtract from the original "range."

At the time of the accident, I did get my insurer to pay for the damage to my car in terms of repair, but I was given nothing for the reduced value of the car. I doubt my insurer covered such damage. But I should have sued the woman who ran into my back end and claimed diminution in value of the car. I could have had someone estimate the diminished sale value then and claim it. But I didn't think of it.

6. anthony

anthony Member

I have in NH. Pm me if you want details.

7. cab

cab Member

8. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Member

Airbag deployment in a front end wreck moderately severe usually will be totaled regarding Tesla cars.
    If not totaled you can expect $100k car that has a Carfax accident showing your airbag went off is worth less than half off a car with clean history
    Example car is currently worth 75k retail
    will now be worth 35-40k max if you can even find a buyer.