Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diminished value replacing door with factory painted door ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if there will be any diminished value if a door is replaced due to a major dent issue ?
Should i be seeking diminsihed value payment from the insurance company of the party that caused the damage apart from cost of repairs ? Even if the part is factory painted door would it diminish the value ?
I really need help here to make a decision

Looks like my decision to buy Tesla is turning into nightmare. Tesla delivered me a dented car (Model S 60) and i was hoping its a simple Paint less Dent Remoal job. Now it turns out the whole door panel is removed and repainted. I dont know what else they had to repair as the service center is not forthcoming in explaining what all has been done except the door is repainted.
Now i am demanding for a replacement car since the damage was done by Tesla before delivery. I only had this car in my possession for 4 weeks and its been sitting at their service center for 7+ weeks.
Service Manager seem to understand my pain but he keeps me waiting to hear answers from his bosses who dont seem to care for customers. They dont want to give me a new car nor compensate for the damage as per my request.
I am now stuck with no other option but take legal action. This is going to be long and painful times for me.
I cant seem to find anyway to escalate this higher up their chain and always left with local service managers.
If anyone know of any other higher up contacts, please let me know. At this time i am planning to hire an independent appraiser to asses the diminished value and i am sure Tesla will not like what i am doing. It has become a
I will also cancel my Model 3 Reservation given the way Tesla has treated me. This is really not what i expected from Tesla but i am left with no other option here but to take legal action.

Sorry, that doesn't sound like a good experience. But a new door skin factory painted and not reported to insurance doesn't sound like the worst thing to happen either?

Isn't this already in this thread? Diminished value replacing door with factory painted door ?

Do you have pictures of the before damage?
Initially i thought the same. It wont matter. But after reading online some of the stories and seeking feedback from friends and professional its confirmed that there is going to be impact to the value of the car.

Think of this: If you drive a new car out the lot and return few hours later to sell the car back to dealer, would be give you same price you paid or remotely close to same price you paid ?

Irrespective of if the car had repaint or factory door, once a repair activity is performed on the car due to damage its value is impacted.
I paid full price for a new car out of factory not something broken on day 1 that needs fixing again. I could get moderately driven and damaged cars for great discount without having to pay new car price.
Thats all i am asking for Tesla to honor. I paid for a new car and give me a new car. Not damaged goods.

Initially i thought the same. It wont matter. But after reading online some of the stories and seeking feedback from friends and professional its confirmed that there is going to be impact to the value of the car.

Think of this: If you drive a new car out the lot and return few hours later to sell the car back to dealer, would be give you same price you paid or remotely close to same price you paid ?

Irrespective of if the car had repaint or factory door, once a repair activity is performed on the car due to damage its value is impacted.
I paid full price for a new car out of factory not something broken on day 1 that needs fixing again. I could get moderately driven and damaged cars for great discount without having to pay new car price.
Thats all i am asking for Tesla to honor. I paid for a new car and give me a new car. Not damaged goods.
I'm assuming you have a loaner? If so, you'd be putting miles on it instead of your own car. I'd consider the free miles some compensation. I do not think that replacing a door would negatively impact your value any - especially since the factory is doing it. I'd let me take their good old time and drive the loaner as much as you can.

Had a neighbor that worked for a car dealer through college - they did lots of finish correction and repaints in new cars and sold as new without any disclosure.

The thing that made diminished value a big thing is CarFax and insurance company reporting. Factory repair would have no reports associated.

My experience with diminished value - had a BMW M3 with two door skins replaced due to vandalism. They were kicked and creased such that paint less repair was not possible.

5 years later when I sold the car, my negotiated offer was reduced by $200 when they found the CarFax info.