Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dinged.... with PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose it had to happen eventually and two years into keeping the bodywork and alloys pristine, some jerk at The Eden Project rammed their door into the car yesterday. I normally try to park strategically but yesterday that wasn't possible.

The car has full PPF which has definitely reduced the damage but I can still see a small depression under the film. Probably too small to warrant a repair but it's visible and I know it's there! I'll forget it soon enough but it does make you wonder why folk can't be careful.

I have the sentry footage and reckon I can get the plate, although the angle on the rear cam is tight. Tempted to pursue just to make a point but then lots of hassle.

Inevitable I suppose unless you completely avoid public parking :(

@spon88 Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately some people seem to care very little about another's car or any property. It is so annoying when you take good care and are considerate yourself. If it is a small dent, you might be able to 'plunger' (sorry for the non-technical description) the dent out.

I had a little incident myself yesterday, when I backed out of my drive onto the road and when stopped to drive off, a guy slowly bumped into me coming out of the shop parking areas across the road. He was looking the other way and completely didn't see my car....sigh. A scrape on my read bumper which will need to be repaired as it is a leased car. Not sure if I would have bothered if I owned it, just touched it up myself.

@Cloggie sorry to hear about your incident, it's a pain for sure. I may look at a dent repair service but it's pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Just bloody irritating and completely avoidable if the donuts in this world had some sense of responsibility. More public parking today so hopefully we can avoid any more dings!

I've a dent in my passenger door caused by when the numpty who parked next to me (in a virtually empty Wickes car park) tripped when getting out of his door and slammed it into mine! He didn't even look at my car to see if it was damaged. I didn't notice till I got home or I'd have waited for him to come back. I'd only had the car a couple of weeks! 😭

It's on company insurance and sentry showed the whole thing including number plate so I'm getting it fixed that way, it would have been fixed weeks ago if I'd gone the private route but I don't see that I should have to pay for it!

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_114600.jpg
    IMG_20210717_114600.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 113
Successfully navigated tricky parking with no further dings today. Just tomorrow to handle and then back to the safety of the front drive! As mentioned above I reckon the PPF would cost more to replace so I'll live with the slight ding for now. Thanks for the sympathetic replies!

Got this after parking defensively when the car was just 10 days old. The really annoying bit was the night before, a software update had disabled sentry mode and because I wasn’t up to speed with noticing it wasn’t working, it didn’t record it ! 😤😥
I feel your pain

Attachments

• 7BC3C778-09BF-49D7-9E1D-D134DA6F3FB2.jpeg
    7BC3C778-09BF-49D7-9E1D-D134DA6F3FB2.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 85
I've a dent in my passenger door caused by when the numpty who parked next to me (in a virtually empty Wickes car park) tripped when getting out of his door and slammed it into mine! He didn't even look at my car to see if it was damaged. I didn't notice till I got home or I'd have waited for him to come back. I'd only had the car a couple of weeks! 😭

It's on company insurance and sentry showed the whole thing including number plate so I'm getting it fixed that way, it would have been fixed weeks ago if I'd gone the private route but I don't see that I should have to pay for it!
Can I ask what sort of place you’re getting that repaired and how they are doing it/what they are quoting?

I have a similar dent on the ‘swage line’ - Fastlane quoted £1k and would need it for a week which puts me off. It would be the full ‘weld a pin to it, pull it out, remove/repaint’ job they say. A couple of other places say they might do it less intrusively/for lower cost - but haven’t seen the car in person.

(Tries not to swear about the blummin irritating careless people who do this sort of thing - but it has made for a small ‘community’ of M3 drivers that regularly park near each other defensively in the most remote part of the local Sainsbury’s. Perhaps if we ring our wagons together there, it would protect half the paintwork?)

Reactions: Cloggie
Can I ask what sort of place you’re getting that repaired and how they are doing it/what they are quoting?

I have a similar dent on the ‘swage line’ - Fastlane quoted £1k and would need it for a week which puts me off. It would be the full ‘weld a pin to it, pull it out, remove/repaint’ job they say. A couple of other places say they might do it less intrusively/for lower cost - but haven’t seen the car in person.

(Tries not to swear about the blummin irritating careless people who do this sort of thing - but it has made for a small ‘community’ of M3 drivers that regularly park near each other defensively in the most remote part of the local Sainsbury’s. Perhaps if we ring our wagons together there, it would protect half the paintwork?)
⬆️ This!!

It's being done by Frosts in Milton Keynes (they are a Tesla approved bodyshop) but I've no idea what they are planning to do or how much it'll cost the insurance company. All I know is that they want it for 3 days!

I was contacted by a repairer foe the damage to the bumper. I asked twice if they have worked on Teslas before; "Yes, yes, plenty of times."
I explained the issue if they put it on a ramp incorrectly. Got a call back 2 hours later, they haven't actually worked on a Tesla before and are not approved to do so.

Any recommendations for a good bodyshop around Birmingham other than Tesla? I will ask the Tesla S.C. as well, but not sure they will do small insurance repairs.

Got this after parking defensively when the car was just 10 days old. The really annoying bit was the night before, a software update had disabled sentry mode and because I wasn’t up to speed with noticing it wasn’t working, it didn’t record it ! 😤😥
I feel your pain
I've got a similar mark/chip on mine too.

What have you decided to do with it?

I've been looking at the touchup kits.

I've got a similar mark/chip on mine too.

What have you decided to do with it?

I've been looking at the touchup kits.
I got it resprayed in the end, I tried touching it up but it looked rubbish. I used Autoglass paint repair, they did it at home.
The finish was quite impressive for £200. During the day you can’t notice it’s been repaired but at night under non natural light it looks a slightly darker red. I’m guessing this is due to them not using the manufactures paint ?

Attachments

• 330D99F6-C79D-4E94-A2F6-F6649082D880.jpeg
    330D99F6-C79D-4E94-A2F6-F6649082D880.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 68
I got it resprayed in the end, I tried touching it up but it looked rubbish. I used Autoglass paint repair, they did it at home.
The finish was quite impressive for £200. During the day you can’t notice it’s been repaired but at night under non natural light it looks a slightly darker red. I’m guessing this is due to them not using the manufactures paint ?
Looks pretty good to me.

I've decided to get mine done professionally as well and had a quote from a smart repairer for £140, similar to yours although mine is on the plastic bumper.

A450D1E6-626C-42AA-A693-798C6B20CF86_1_105_c.jpeg
9EB7F52D-AEB2-4A99-A3C9-E76D467B4C9B_1_105_c.jpeg

Out of interest, what happens in this situation? Do you need to send the footage to the insurance company? And do they look up the number plate and claim from their insurance?