TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dinner Program - To Infinity and Beyond: Jeff Skoll Talks with Elon and Kimbal Musk

Discussion in 'Video' started by ohaq, May 12, 2013.

1. ohaq

ohaq Model S #P9,326

#1 ohaq, May 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Thanks for posting that. To be honest, I was actually more interested in what Kimbal had to say since he doesn't do interviews (etc.) nearly as much as Elon. It seemed to me like they both had a pretty good time. :)

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Kimbal is an entertaining tandem and foil for Elon.

4. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

nice to see such a relaxed and informative intervieuw

I think due to Kimbal, Elon seemed more relaxed!
    Nice to see them in such symbiose.

5. Causalien

Causalien Reaper of Trolls

Weird, am I the only one who see Elon aiming some evil eye to the mediator and Kimbal at some of the questions? Almost like they were digging at Elon to tell some of the crazier stories, but Elon eyeing them to shut up because he is the ceo of two companies so he can't say those things.

6. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Elon and Kimbal are quite the comedic duo. In particular when Kimbal was talking about how exciting it was to watch SpaceX rockets explode ~23:40. The reaction shots of Elon are priceless.

7. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Fun to watch the interaction of the two brothers, indeed!

Besides Elon's great observations, one from Kimbal hit me, paraphrasing here... "Childhood obesity and the lack of interest/drive in the sciences is the epidemic of today, creating an expensive and unproductive generation."

8. Causalien

Causalien Reaper of Trolls

I am new to these interview PR circus. So I hope someone can enlighten me. Why do they always ask the same questions in Elon's Interviews? I've probably heard the same stories about 10 times now and it is no longer possible to gleam any insight from watching Elon's body language on screen. You can tell that it is just practiced response.

9. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Presumably, only a small portion of the video's viewers are avid Tesla fans which have seen pretty much every interview Elon Musk has ever given (like us on TMC). Everybody else is just watching a stand-alone interview and this is new information to them.

It does make it a bit tiring, but it happens with most public figures. Few news organizations actually bother to come up with new questions for each interview they conduct. They have a standard battery that they ask everyone they interview (with some variation/adaptation). They treat it like their interview will be the only one seen on a given subject.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It's amusing to see how they each smile when they ask the "clever" question that we've all heard 70 times.

11. Soflason

Soflason Member

Best part! Very fun to see Kimbal bust his brother's chops throughout the interview and Elon's reaction (especially on that one) was classic. You can tell they have a lot of history together and Kimbal is not afraid to provoke, challenge, and keep Elon on his toes...

12. Tesluthian

Tesluthian New Member

The video was a delight to watch. I wonder how many more family members are in the wings as potential entrepreneurs ?

13. keys

keys Member

14. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

This was posted somewhere on this site before but it was worth watching again :smile:
    Great interview.

15. claytorj

claytorj Member

This might be my favourite Elon interview yet. Kimbal's presence makes Elon's reactions seem much more natural than some of his other interviews that highlighted his awkward body language. Actually, I think he used a lot of the same awkward body language and facial expressions here that he has previously, but Kimbal's immediate responses (laughing, or interjecting thoughts) almost acted as a translator for Elon's body language. Thoroughly enjoyed, thanks for posting!