Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIP switch style garage door opener works with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got our Model X, I searched for information on whether our old garage door openers were going to work with our Model X. We have very old openers, long before Homelink was invented, and before Intellicode. They are the style of openers that have 9-12 DIP switches inside the remote, and the same DIP switches on the motor in the garage. They run at 390 MHz. I think they are around 1995 vintage openers.

I figured there was no chance that these DIP switch openers would work on my Model X. But these ancient openers work fine!

At first, I could not get the Model X to learn the remote code. But I followed the instructions and put brand new batteries in the remote, then held the remote up to the EXACT location on the front bumper on my Model X. Seemed to take forever (about two minutes) for my Model X to learn the code, but it eventually worked. Took a few tries moving around on the bumper, and googling for the perfect spot on the bumper.

So to anybody else who has old style (before Homelink) Genie garage door openers, the Tesla software and hardware WILL work with those openers. Yay!

BTW - To the non-electronics types: DIP stands for Dual Inline Package. It denotes the form factor for switches that can be soldered to a circuit board.

When I first got our Model X, I searched for information on whether our old garage door openers were going to work with our Model X. We have very old openers, long before Homelink was invented, and before Intellicode. They are the style of openers that have 9-12 DIP switches inside the remote, and the same DIP switches on the motor in the garage. They run at 390 MHz. I think they are around 1995 vintage openers.

I figured there was no chance that these DIP switch openers would work on my Model X. But these ancient openers work fine!

At first, I could not get the Model X to learn the remote code. But I followed the instructions and put brand new batteries in the remote, then held the remote up to the EXACT location on the front bumper on my Model X. Seemed to take forever (about two minutes) for my Model X to learn the code, but it eventually worked. Took a few tries moving around on the bumper, and googling for the perfect spot on the bumper.

So to anybody else who has old style (before Homelink) Genie garage door openers, the Tesla software and hardware WILL work with those openers. Yay!

BTW - To the non-electronics types: DIP stands for Dual Inline Package. It denotes the form factor for switches that can be soldered to a circuit board.

You should be aware that these type of openers can be opened by children's toys in a matter of seconds, make sure you lock any doors behind the garage door and assume everyone else has the opener. The security of them has been defeated for decades now.

Can you link to a pic of the "exact spot" bc I tried this for over an hour with no luck for our community guard gate which uses DIP clickers

Here's the quote from the Model X manual that led me to the 'correct' location to hold the old remote (with new batteries):
Hold the remote against the front bumper,
with the button pressed, approximately 6
in (15 cm) to the left of the Tesla emblem.
In some cases you must hold the button
on the remote for up to three minutes​
I did exactly what this says: held the remote right up tight against the front bumper, 6 in to left of Tesla emblem. I could not get it to work at any other location and was quite surprised when it did work. When I held the remote a few inches from the bumper, it did not work - had to actually touch it flat to the bumper.

So once it learned the DIP remote code, did you just "skip" through the second portion where it then makes you learn/link it to your garage door opener? Obviously, our community gate doesn't have a "learn" button

Here's the quote from the Model X manual that led me to the 'correct' location to hold the old remote (with new batteries):
Hold the remote against the front bumper,
with the button pressed, approximately 6
in (15 cm) to the left of the Tesla emblem.
In some cases you must hold the button
on the remote for up to three minutes​
I did exactly what this says: held the remote right up tight against the front bumper, 6 in to left of Tesla emblem. I could not get it to work at any other location and was quite surprised when it did work. When I held the remote a few inches from the bumper, it did not work - had to actually touch it flat to the bumper.