Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dipped! Bora Bora + Autoflex

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today celebrates two months of Model 3 ownership. Fitting that I should get to pick it up from my dip guy today!

This whole idea was inspired by showing my wife the thread where @HankLloydRight dipped his Model S in a colorshifting pearl, back when the long wait had just begun. Then she saw what Tesla wanted for any color other than black, and we decided it was clearly an irresponsible waste of money to do anything other than a dip or wrap. :D

So I present to you, the Model 3 dipped in blue with Bora Bora colorshift pearls. AutoFlex was the key here. Had to feel (and maintain) like OEM paint.

We were going to replace the wheels with aftermarket 18"s, but the aero look has grown on us so they were dipped too.

Work was done by Dapper Dips in Evansville, IN.

IMG_6814.jpg

IMG_6825.jpg

IMG_6818.jpg

IMG_6857-HDR.jpg

IMG_6833.jpg

Shaky-cam walk around:

Just wondering if there were any noticable affects to any of the car sensors with Autoflex? Did you just spray over the sensors with coatings of Autoflex?
The guy just sprayed over the sensors and I've had no problems with them. I've also not heard of any other Tesla owner having problems after a wrap or dip. Ultrasonics are common enough on cars now I feel like most shops can tell you if they've had issues with a particular coating or wrap.

Reactions: medx
awesome. whats the expected life of something like this?
Installer said I could expect 5-7 years or more depending on how well I took care of it, how much sun hit it, etc. The Autoflex clearcoat is not supposed to yellow in sunlight. Not sure if the pearls will fade over time or not.

Regardless... it looks good! Excellent gloss for a removable dip. I wonder how hard this is to remove, and if it comes off like plasti dip, or something else.

Is there a leak in the first pic? Or did someone dump their sonic Ocean Water?
;)
Thanks! Autoflex is the "pro-grade" non-diy version of the normal plasti-dip glossifier. Base is still just plasti dip, so removal should be just as easy. [Edit: See HankLloydRight's post below this for clarification. Removal is supposed to be easy, like a dip, but I have no personal experience.] And yeah, the gloss (and the way it feels to the touch) is very OEM like.

We've put nearly 6k miles on this since it was done. I've sealed it with a paint sealer, wax it (spray on synthetic because I'm lazy), and wash it nearly weekly. Looks as good as the day it was put on.

Last edited:
Thanks! Autoflex is the "pro-grade" non-diy version of the normal plasti-dip glossifier. Base is still just plasti dip,

Unless your installer didn't follow normal procedures, Autoflex is an entirely different product that does not use Plastidip as a base. I don't even think you can mix the two like that and get good results. I can assure you with 100% certainty, in both cars I had Autoflexed, there was no Plastidip involved, and this is true for every other Autoflex car I've seen or known. They use a black or white Autoflex base called Spray Wrap Pro, and then several Autoflex matte or gloss top coats with the color and/or pearls.

But it's not just a "glossifier" on top of Plastidip.

Installer said I could expect 5-7 years or more depending on how well I took care of it, how much sun hit it, etc. The Autoflex clearcoat is not supposed to yellow in sunlight. Not sure if the pearls will fade over time or not.

Thanks! Autoflex is the "pro-grade" non-diy version of the normal plasti-dip glossifier. Base is still just plasti dip, so removal should be just as easy. And yeah, the gloss (and the way it feels to the touch) is very OEM like.

We've put nearly 6k miles on this since it was done. I've sealed it with a paint sealer, wax it (spray on synthetic because I'm lazy), and wash it nearly weekly. Looks as good as the day it was put on.

5-7 years is pretty good. I may need to look into this!

Unless your installer didn't follow normal procedures, Autoflex is an entirely different product that does not use Plastidip as a base. I don't even think you can mix the two like that and get good results. I can assure you with 100% certainty, in both cars I had Autoflexed, there was no Plastidip involved, and this is true for every other Autoflex car I've seen or known. They use a black or white Autoflex base called Spray Wrap Pro, and then several Autoflex matte or gloss top coats with the color and/or pearls.

But it's not just a "glossifier" on top of Plastidip.
Ah OK. I'll admit I didn't understand the distinction between SWP and base plasti-dip. Makes sense that it's a system. I'm *assuming* my installer did it right as he's the only listed authorized installer for Autoflex in my area and it's holding up well.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

Thanks! Autoflex is the "pro-grade" non-diy version of the normal plasti-dip glossifier. Base is still just plasti dip, so removal should be just as easy. [Edit: See HankLloydRight's post below this for clarification. Removal is supposed to be easy, like a dip, but I have no personal experience.] And yeah, the gloss (and the way it feels to the touch) is very OEM like.

There are a couple of good videos showing the application.. (I even think they are of @HankLloydRight 's car) And while I understand that this is not PD (DIY's have really given PD a bad name) I'm just really impressed by the gloss of the Autoflex. I don't understand why this isn't more popular as a PPF alternative, just throw gloss clear over the entire car take my 2.5k and call it a day. But now since you mention the "BASE" part maybe that's not possible... Bummer :(

Installer said I could expect 5-7 years or more depending on how well I took care of it, how much sun hit it, etc.

What does it mean when they say it'll "last 5-7" years. Will I definitely need to peel it after 7 years? If it's similar to a paint job, in that, it gets sprayed onto the car with multiple coats, couldn't I just leave it on forever like a new paint job? Only reason to peel it off is to change the color?

here are a couple of good videos showing the application.. (I even think they are of @HankLloydRight 's car)

Nah, no videos of my cars that were Autoflexed.
I'm just really impressed by the gloss of the Autoflex. I don't understand why this isn't more popular as a PPF alternative, just throw gloss clear over the entire car take my 2.5k and call it a day.

There is, it's called 'Spray Shield' and it's a clear Autoflex coating.

Reactions: Butane
What does it mean when they say it'll "last 5-7" years. Will I definitely need to peel it after 7 years?

No, you don't have to peel it after 7 years... it's just probably after 7 years, you'll want to peel it as it might start to not look optimal. But the product hasn't really been out 7 years, so nobody knows how well it will last.. those are just estimates. It might last 10 years, or only 5.

Only reason to peel it off is to change the color?

Yes, or it starts to degrade or fade. But again, nobody knows how it will last for that long yet.

Reactions: Butane