TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Direct Auto Sales Bans - Is This Map Accurate?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by swaltner, Nov 17, 2014.

1. swaltner

swaltner Member

http://www.mojomotors.com/blog/where-can-tesla-sell-cars/

I came across this on MyNissanLeaf.com and was shocked by all the "red" on the map. Is it really this bad for direct auto sales? I knew about the well-publicized states (TX, MI, IA, etc...), but hadn't heard that my state of Kansas was on the list. It doesn't surprise me, it just hadn't been mentioned before. I know we don't currently have a Tesla store, but I thought that was just by choice, not by law.

According to their map:
    States that Ban Direct Sales: 26
    States that Allow Tesla to Sell Cars: 22
    States Tesla is Fighting to Overturn Ban: 2

2. CatB

CatB Member

That map doesn't surprise me. As a Maryland resident who had no problem buying my car over the Internet, the "sales ban" is a speed bump, not a barrier. The fact that Michigan won't let Tesla service the vehicles that are registered there would seem to be a much bigger challenge. I don't think Tesla needs to fight in Md so much, but other state laws really seem to be out of control.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Georgia has a direct sales ban (over ~125 cars per year) Tesla is under suit for violating that right now. So Georgia is not a "Yes" as that site states. Granted like CatB says it is more of a speedbump than a road block.

4. mdevp

mdevp Member

NJ I think has a "no new" Tesla gallery/service center ban I believe, but I could be wrong. They have a gallery at the Short hills mall that hasn't closed. But I don't think NJ has a supercharger ban, they just opened one in Edison at the Menlo Park mall at the end of August I believe. I'm also not sure about test drives being available at current galleries.