Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Direct Charging v Juicebox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior to buying my model 3 I had volt where I used a Juicebox Charger. Is there any benefit to using the juicebox with the model 3 or should I just use the direct cable provided by tesla and rely on onboard charger on the model 3? Thanks
You’re using the onboard charger regardless. The Juicebox and the Tesla UMC are just different EVSEs.

I’ve been using a juice box for my 3since January. I actually like it better than the Tesla cable since it keeps track of charging session statistics online. I bought another J1772 adapter ($95) so I could keep one in the trunk and one attached to the juice box.

He's just being pedantic. The differences are as I described above.
Usually I am the guy who is irritated at people correcting folks all the time about the use of the word "charger", but in this case, it really was specifically a misunderstanding about whether the onboard charger in the car was being used or not. So the explanation was specifically called-for and relevant here and was not just being pedantic.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Usually I am the guy who is irritated at people correcting folks all the time about the use of the word "charger", but in this case, it really was specifically a misunderstanding about whether the onboard charger in the car was being used or not. So the explanation was specifically called-for and relevant here and was not just being pedantic.

Agreed that it's a distinction worth education about. But in this case, the correction was given without also clarifying its impact on OP's question, leaving OP with a mistaken impression.

I've got no issue with folks correcting charger vs EVSE. But we have to ensure we communicate a net increase in understanding when we do so.

• Helpful
But in this case, the correction was given without also clarifying its impact on OP's question, leaving OP with a mistaken impression.
I completely disagree. The question was:
Is there any benefit to using the juicebox with the model 3 or should I just use the direct cable provided by tesla and rely on onboard charger on the model 3?
So the person was asking because he thought it was using some different charging method that might have some technological impact.
You’re using the onboard charger regardless. The Juicebox and the Tesla UMC are just different EVSEs.
This comment clarified that they really are using the same charging method.
I've got no issue with folks correcting charger vs EVSE. But we have to ensure we communicate a net increase in understanding when we do so.
So it provided additional information and cleared up a misunderstanding, which is, by definition, "a net increase in understanding".

• Love
So it provided additional information and cleared up a misunderstanding, which is, by definition, "a net increase in understanding".

No. The end result was:

So no difference since both are going through the same onboard charger?

The original question was:

Dluftman said:
Is there any benefit to using the juicebox with the model 3 or should I just use the direct cable provided by tesla and rely on onboard charger on the model 3?

The EVSE comment clarified the [incorrect] 2nd part of the OP's question, but left the first part unanswered and clouded. A more helpful response would have addressed the core question (is there a benefit to using a JuiceBox over a UMC), and then perhaps clarified EVSE vs charger.

In any event, this is far in the weeds and clogging this thread, so I'll bow out.

but left the first part unanswered and clouded. A more helpful response would have addressed the core question (is there a benefit to using a JuiceBox over a UMC),
But you already addressed that part and gave those answers. He commented after you with answering a different question that you had not addressed. Why do you think it would have been better for him to just redundantly cover the same ground you just did and not answer that additional question? That wouldn't be beneficial.

• Informative
But you already addressed that part and gave those answers. He commented after you with answering a different question that you had not addressed. Why do you think it would have been better for him to just redundantly cover the same ground you just did and not answer that additional question? That wouldn't be beneficial.

I was going off of OP's confusion, perhaps by what he read as conflicting answers:

So no difference since both are going through the same onboard charger?

That came after my reply, suggesting that the EVSE post confused him.

I’ve never had any of my posts dissected so carefully before. Perhaps I should have put more thought into it. I don’t know anything about Juiceboxes (other than the ones the kids used to take to school) so I didn’t want to comment on them. The OP was under the misconception that the UMC used the in car charger but a Juciebox (and presumably other EVSEs) didn’t, and I was trying to correct that misconception.

That came after my reply, suggesting that the EVSE post confused him.
That's the most twisted interpretation of anything I've heard. Someone stated something wrong--gets a correction--and then restates it correctly to confirm they got it right. And you think that means that they have now been confused? :eek:

"So we're meeting at Subway, right?"
"No, the place we went for lunch last Saturday."
"Oh, so Olive Garden then?"
"Right."

That shows that a person is UNconfused.

That's the most twisted interpretation of anything I've heard. Someone stated something wrong--gets a correction--and then restates it correctly to confirm they got it right. And you think that means that they have now been confused? :eek: That's not how talking works.

There is a difference b/t using a JuiceBox and a UMC, even though both go through the on-board charger. :p Now I'm really out.

There is a difference b/t using a JuiceBox and a UMC, even though both go through the on-board charger. :p Now I'm really out.
It's cool. You did answer the question about the practical and convenience issues. That was great--thank you. I just couldn't understand why you were continually trying to argue and disagree with someone who answered the other question, which was of a technical nature.

Both UMC and Juicebox are EVSE's and require use of the Model 3 onboard charger to convert either the Juicebox 40 Pro or UMC to DC.

Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) | Products
http://teslapedia.org/model-s/tesla-driver/charging-terminology/

I have to explain this to people constantly as there is a common misconception of a Supercharger, DC charging, vs et, al., AC charging using the Model 3 onboard charger.

I have both a Tesla HPWC and 2 load balanced Juicebox 40 Pros.

The only issue I am seeing with the Juicebox 40 Pro is reduced charging rate on the Model 3 for some reason when both Juiceboxes are plugged into my Bolt and Model 3. Both on board chargers max at 32 amp but the Model 3 will limit itself to 16 amps during a session. Not sure if a single Juicebox 40 Pro will experience this or not when charging the Model 3.

I did previously have a Volt using the same Juicebox 40 Pro and have changed the vehicle profile from Volt to Model 3.

Agree the Juicebox 40 Pros provide far more charging info than the HPWC used on my Model S.

I have been using the JuiceBox since April. It works fine with my Model 3. If you plug it into a 50 amp plug you can charge at 40 amps. If you plug the 2nd gen mobile connector that comes with the Model 3 into the same outlet you can only charge at 32 amps due to the limitation of the mobile connector. That is the main difference. You don't have to manually open the charge port. It can be opened from the charging screen of the car or from the phone app. One nice feature of the JuiceBox Pro is that it can enable smart charging in California, which charges when there is cheaper or greener electricity available on the grid. That feature is a little buggy at the moment with the Model 3 though.

So I'm the new kid on the block and following this thread seems to be a bit confusing.
Here's my question:
I have a old unused Clothes Dryer outlet with a NEMA 10-30 socket that is being converted to a NEMA 14-50 socket. However we are not able to up the amps (because it requires changing the wires which is not economical). So although there will be a 14-50 socket we are left with 30 amps.

The question is which of the 3 methods below will provide the best output charging current for the M3-LR:
1. Use the TESLA provided cable plugged into the 14-50?
2. Install and use the TESLA Wall Connector (HPWC)?
3. Install and use a JuiceBox Pro40?