Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Direct Line, Free cover for courtesy car, has a limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. Since getting my MX in September I've had 3 loaners and the most recent one I've had for a month now, anyway called Direct Line to extend for another 2 weeks and they wanted to charge me an extra premium.

Given that they have covered three cars for about 80 days in total I did ask " do you guys have a limit" the guys didn't answer yes or no but eventually waived the fee which i was grateful for...

Now just hoping i get my car back for the end f next week so i don't have to extend again... Anyone else had to cover a loaner for along period of time?

luckily no - but do not rely on Tesla own cover these days as that is 3rd party only and with a £2500 excess.

Factor in also the fact that the loaner is probably worth £80-£100K and pretty much any hit will result in a write off and you could be looking at a potential disaster.

imho Tesla should advise you in advance when booking a service/repair appointment and simply not allow you out in a loaner unless you can show them you are fully comp insured. Otherwise it is just a matter of time before this all ends in tears and a shedload of bad press for Tesla.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
I don't mind insuring it myself, as part of DL policy they say they will cover loaners FOC but my question was more around is there a limit to that generosity, i may have found said limit.

I like your idea about them making you prove you have cover, would save some tears for sure.