Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Direct line insurance... I’m shocked !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my renewal though for the MX today and whilst my wife’s fiat 500 which does less than 3k miles a year went up my renewal went down by about £20.

in all my years of driving this is the first time I’ve had a renewal from anyone for any car which has been less than year one.

Kudos to DL!! Not even gonna bother shopping around as they were cheapest by miles already.

Reactions: freekie
From my experience, if you had 5-10 mins to call DL and asked them 'what can they do to stop you shopping around', you could probably get that 697 down to 640-650 range without any further haggling or compromises. Its a routine that I go through every year with them (and some other institutes) and normally do it no issues on first call - for the first time, it took a second call this year - first guy said it was the best he could do, but another person found another £40 or so straight out.

Reactions: TomD
I’m happy with the price cheapest on the market is 30% more than my renewal and cheaper than last year which was new customer rate.

I doubt they will reduce it much further and honestly I can’t be bothered calling for a few quid more off the price.

Call me silly but I happy to pay the renewal.
I once had a renenewal through from Hatings Direct, it was reasonable, but I attempted this.
From my experience, if you had 5-10 mins to call DL and asked them 'what can they do to stop you shopping around'

half an hour later, going through all of my details and they took off a WHOPPING 16p. I was both annoyed and impressed. Annoyed that I had wasted all of that time, but impressed that my renewal genuinely was the best price they could offer.

Direct Line renewal for me at end of March 2020 on my MS100D was approx 20% higher than 2019 despite an additional year's no claims bonus being awarded. Direct Line were unable to lower premium when I called. Used MoneySupermarket and found Admiral at £100 cheaper than than my 2019 Direct Line policy.

I've used DL on my cars for a while. All the others give you a great price year one and then try and stuff your lethargy in year 2. DL has always been competitive and never ramped the price. Also they were much cheaper for my new M3.

Direct Line do seem to be the only game in town for Teslas. The cheapest quote I could find on comparison websites was £2,500. DL are £1,400. Aviva was over £9,000. :eek:
I went with DR like most as they where the only company that would insures without the car being registered with the DVLA. Was shocked at the >£1000 cost so in the 2 week cool down period looked around and LV quoted me just over £400. Needless to say I moved.