TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Direct Sales of Tesla Coming to Maryland

Discussion in 'News' started by Curt Renz, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

The Maryland legislature last night passed a bill allowing direct sales of Tesla cars beginning October 1: Tesla in Maryland

2. CatB

CatB Member

Many thanks and kudos to those who testified - guess who won't need to buy a drink at Reach the Beach this weekend :)

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

For those who haven't clicked the link, the article says GM continued to oppose the bill even after the Maryland auto dealers association agreed on a compromise with Tesla having a 6 store limit. GM wanted to allow only two, and the legislature split the difference to limit Tesla to 4 stores. Who would have thought that GM would be a bigger opponent to direct sales than even the auto dealers cartel?

Yesterday at the Texas House committee hearing on HB1653, which would allow manufacturers that have never had franchised dealers to open up to 12 stores in the state, GM led off the testimony opposing the bill (and it went downhill from there, see my Texas post if you're interested in the details). The Tesla executive said it was the most vigorous opposition GM has made in any state. GM doesn't say it in so many words, but their position seems to be if we have to be burdened with dealers, it's not fair if they don't have to be burdened with dealers.

4. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Another step in the right direction! Shame on GM for not supporting this common-sense legislation.

5. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Great win for TM.

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Way to go MD. Now if that could just happen here in Utah (though now that I made my final payment today none of my money will be helping any employees here - but I'm sure the folks in CA appreciate my money went there).

7. robatbeach

robatbeach Member

Getting towards the last stage?

Awesome news and sincere thanks to those who were there for this.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
    Seems like we're getting closer to that final stage for Tesla and electric vehicle adoption.

8. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

Maryland Governor Signs Tesla Bill

Several of us were at the Maryland State House when the Governor signed the bill yesterday.

ja1_8186_lg.jpg

Lanny

9. linkster

linkster Member

Lan

Thanks so much for keeping us up to speed on Tesla's progress/win in Md!

link in your post not working

10. dogphlap

dogphlap Member

I wonder why GM did not just stay out of this.
    If GM had supported Tesla the dealers would not have been happy and supporting the dealers brands them as anti free market and petty. Taking any opportunity to attack a competitor (even though Tesla's numbers are currently no threat to the mighty GM, one day they may be) shows GM's nasty side. They should have saved the legal teams expense and spent the money on making the Bolt an awesome and a worthy competitor to the Tesla Model 3.

11. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

Thanks for the good news.
    Go go Tesla!
    ~Larry

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Great news, and good to see you and other Tesla friends there, Lanny. And thank for helping push this along to victory.

13. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

In addition to the two lawyers representing GM sent to oppose the Tesla bill in Maryland, there were two letters delivered by GM to the committee.

We secured copies of that written testimony... Link to PDF.

Lanny

14. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#14 Jaff, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
    Thanks for posting the opposition letters to the committee Lanny...I read them...that's some awfully weak ****...:rolleyes:

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It's funny they admit the regulations and their sales model suck and Tesla would be at an advantage.

16. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Seriously, this is priceless.

"In Maryland, as in most states, automakers and dealers operate under a complex scheme of franchise laws regulating nearly every facet of our relationship. Unfortunately, some of these laws are outdated, anti-competitive, and anti-consumer."

You can't make this stuff up. Tesla should save a lot of money on lobbyists and hire this guy to go around the country.