Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

direct ship?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed S60 on 11/28, went to production on late 12/16, got email today (12/20) that's it's completed. Email said delivery would between Jan 13-27 (at Rockville, MD). I was really hoping to get the car before end of the year to claim the tax credit this year.

I emailed DS and I was told they could direct ship car to me at home as long as I complete all paperwork an pay for it before 12/31.

some questions/concerns:
  1. how would I get license plates/tags by doing direct ship?
  2. what if something happens to car while being transported? who is responsible since car is already titled and paid for at this point.
  3. what if I find scratches, dents when car arrives? would Tesla believe me that it arrived in this condition?
  4. has anyone done this, any pros/cons?
Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I emailed DS and I was told they could direct ship car to me at home as long as I complete all paperwork an pay for it before 12/31.

some questions/concerns:
  1. how would I get license plates/tags by doing direct ship?
  2. what if something happens to car while being transported? who is responsible since car is already titled and paid for at this point.
  3. what if I find scratches, dents when car arrives? would Tesla believe me that it arrived in this condition?
  4. has anyone done this, any pros/cons?
Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I am not an accountant, so take the following with a grain of salt, but...

I recall a lot of discussion on this topic when some of us were waiting for our P85Ds at the end of 2014. The common wisdom was that unless you actually receive your car, and put it into use by December 31, you would not be entitled to the tax credit this year. The date it is paid in full, etc., is irrelevant.

So unless Tesla is promising to actually get the car to you by December 31, you may not be gaining anything.

Good luck!

I am not an accountant, so take the following with a grain of salt, but...

I recall a lot of discussion on this topic when some of us were waiting for our P85Ds at the end of 2014. The common wisdom was that unless you actually receive your car, and put it into use by December 31, you would not be entitled to the tax credit this year. The date it is paid in full, etc., is irrelevant.

So unless Tesla is promising to actually get the car to you by December 31, you may not be gaining anything.

Good luck!

Thanks for your quick response!

Reactions: Andyw2100
Sorry to activate a zombie thread, but has anyone took delivery via direct (carrier delivery) lately?
Took delivery about two weeks ago, and radio silence from Tesla on delivery of the registration paperwork (I need these to get temp tags in Oklahoma!)

Sorry to activate a zombie thread, but has anyone took delivery via direct (carrier delivery) lately?
Took delivery about two weeks ago, and radio silence from Tesla on delivery of the registration paperwork (I need these to get temp tags in Oklahoma!)

I have the same experience. I took delivery (in New Mexico) on Dec. 7th and still have not received my registration package. I've called my Tesla delivery point of contact (in Las Vegas) and my sales associate (in Denver) and have not received a response. Hoping it's just holiday vacation time rather than poor customer service. Do you think we can use the purchase agreement to register with our local DMV?

I have the same experience. I took delivery (in New Mexico) on Dec. 7th and still have not received my registration package. I've called my Tesla delivery point of contact (in Las Vegas) and my sales associate (in Denver) and have not received a response. Hoping it's just holiday vacation time rather than poor customer service. Do you think we can use the purchase agreement to register with our local DMV?

I feel you. Might depend on state. Oklahoma says they need “assigned Manufacturers Certificate of Origin” which I am confident that I don’t have. Would check with NM DMV to find out.

Reactions: SantaFeSpence