Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Direct sunlight issue with cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a pretty new owner and haven't seen this until today. I got a message that "left door pillar camera blocked or blinded". I got the one for the right camera when I was driving in the other direction on the highway. I suspected dirt from all the winter road muck, but didn't see any when I made my first stop and even wiped them all clean.

Additionally, pretty sure they are not related, after I got this pop up for the first time, I noticed my regen capability went down drastically when I exited the highway. I had a full regen bar on the screen with no dots. I pretty much take this trip every day in the morning and when I take my highway exit, I never use brakes when coming up to the stop sign, I had to brake hard this time where it was very noticeable. Only difference I can think of is that I didn't leave the car plugged in last night and this was a first. I had enough range for my morning commute and wanted to drain the battery down a bit.

Temp is about -3 Celsius here, so 26F.

Attachments

• 20210106_103401.jpg
    20210106_103401.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 163
Here is a recent thread on this topic I found by searching the forum for "sunlight". Maybe something in there is of interest to you.

Autopilot blinded, disengaged by sun on interstate
Ah thanks. Yes, that seems to make sense since the angle of the sun in the morning I suspect would cause this. Must've been optimal conditions to get the messages. Definitely seems to affect AP but nothing about REGEN.

I'm a pretty new owner and haven't seen this until today. I got a message that "left door pillar camera blocked or blinded". I got the one for the right camera when I was driving in the other direction on the highway. I suspected dirt from all the winter road muck, but didn't see any when I made my first stop and even wiped them all clean.

Additionally, pretty sure they are not related, after I got this pop up for the first time, I noticed my regen capability went down drastically when I exited the highway. I had a full regen bar on the screen with no dots. I pretty much take this trip every day in the morning and when I take my highway exit, I never use brakes when coming up to the stop sign, I had to brake hard this time where it was very noticeable. Only difference I can think of is that I didn't leave the car plugged in last night and this was a first. I had enough range for my morning commute and wanted to drain the battery down a bit.

Temp is about -3 Celsius here, so 26F.
Same problem for me - when I reported they have asked me to park over night facing the other way as they though condensation may be the problem! still getting the issue periodically to various cameras - funnily enough the majority of the time it is the left hand door pillar. I've yet to report it further.