TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Direct Sunlight

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by msanghavi, Dec 29, 2019.

1. msanghavi

msanghavi Member

Anybody know how the Autopilot cameras will handle direct bright sunlight (especially at signal lights) ? I looked at my M3 cameras, and was expecting to see at least 1 camera "wearing sun glasses" (i.e. have a dark tinted glass in front of it) but I don't see anything like that.

2. DanCar

DanCar Active Member

Don't know, but do know there are specialized cameras that can handle this. The affected pixel sensors are turned off when the Sun hits them. Handling with a tint is an interesting possible solution. Suspect for the next few years, Tesla will just tell you to take over, until they figure out how they want to handle this.