Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Directional Tire Spare Rotation & Purchase Query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have a Model 3 RWD.

I have a spare tire question. I need a full-size spare for times when I take road trips to remote areas with no cell phone coverage and having to avoid interruption due to tire availability.

Spare: I have a new OEM 18 inch wheel and a universal TPMS sensor as a spare.

I need to buy a full-size spare tire for this spare wheel.

Currently, I have new directional tires on the car that can only be rotated front to back (without the obvious dismount/remount).

I need help deciding:

1. Whether to buy the same directional tire as a spare (and driving it on a trip in the wrong direction in case I get a flat on the other side)

2. Whether to buy a same-brand non-directional tire as a spare (and having one mismatched tire for the trip until I get home and get the original flat tire fixed).

And once decided:

How do I incorporate tire rotation of this full size spare (whether directional or not)?

Any other thoughts?

Just buy the same directional tire as a spare. It's a 50-50 chance it will be the same direction as the one it's replacing.

One you repair the bad tire, put it back on and continue rotating your wheels like normal.
Thank you for the advice! That does take the hassle out of deciding how to best rotate it in as I can skip the rotation. I was thinking even if the flat happened on the other side, it could at least still take me to a tire shop if I found myself stranded in a remote area with no cell phone service.

Upvote 0