TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

directional wheels

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by doug, May 14, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, May 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
    VP13
    2491772666_8bc90609ea.jpg
    Flickr Photo Download: Tesla in Half Moon Bay

Oddly enough, looks like the wheels are on backwards. I think we normally see the wheels oriented so that the spokes are angled towards the direction of forward motion, not away from it as we see here.

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

They are. Does this make any significant difference given that the forces on the wheel will reverse when switching from traction to braking?

Are owners allowed to swap the front pair over and the rear pair over? (I think front and rear are different diameters)

3. doug

I think front and rear tires may be different widths as well (at least they are on the Elise) so i wouldn't swap them. At any rate, the unusual direction of the spokes on the wheels indicates a left/right swap, not front/back.

The directional spokes must be just for show and shouldn't have any affect on the traction since the rim of the wheel should not be deforming. The tires, however, are likely directional. So maybe the tires got mounted to the wheels opposite from normal.

4. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

FWIW, I think backwards looks better.

5. Joseph

Joseph Member

Yup. The wheels are on backwards. From the Tesla website: Tesla Motors - safety

"The unique design of the spokes leans clockwise on the right side of the car and counter-clockwise on the left."

But if the above statement is true, how do you put on the wheels "backwards" ?

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Umm, mount the right wheels on the left side and the left wheels on the right side?

7. Joseph

Joseph Member

You're right.

This was what I was thinking:

Wheels that have spokes spinning clockwise when viewed on the right side, will appear to spin counter-clockwise when viewed from the left side.

But, I forgot that a wheel can only be installed one way, so when mounted on a car, can only be viewed one way. A clockwise spoke wheel on the right side of the car, will still be a clokwise spoke wheel when mounted on the left side of the car because the wheel needs to be flipped over.

So, they have two different wheel designs for the same car (clockwise and counter-clockwise) Isn't that a bit unusual?

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes it is!

Also, some modern tires have unidirectional tread patterns now. Tire shops sometimes mistakenly mount the tires backwards on the wheel so you get tires that draw in rain rather than push it out. (Not good when that happens).

9. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

If you prefer the wheels on the left side to appear clockwise (and on tghe rirght site counter clockwise), The better answer would be to have a tire place remount the tires so that they run in the correct direction after the wheels are mounted.

This is because the tires are designed to work better in one direction than the other.

10. doug

#10 doug, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
    Saw VP13 last night and the wheels are still angled differently than "normal".

2683833835_177d976bd5.jpg

11. Albern

Albern Member

Yeah that makes no sense to me from an aesthetic prospective and in an extreme case an aerodynamic one as the orientation could have a different affect on airflow on both sides.

I suppose from an economic viewpoint it's better to only have to order 2 sets of 2 wheels per car rather than 4 since the front and rear wheels are different sizes.

12. doug

#12 doug, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    Wow, great photos! I notice that the chirality of the wheel spokes is opposite from how we normally see them. Does Tesla have a preferred direction for aesthetic reasons?

13. flabby

flabby Member

Chirality? Did you recently take organic chemistry? :smile:

14. doug

Haha, sorry about that. No I haven't taken orgo for some years now. :smile: I meant it in the more general geometric sense which describes this type of handed symmetry. :redface:

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#15 NigelM, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011

TEG, what happened to the front wheel on that red one? Looks like someone swapped the left and right sides....

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yep, it does look "backwards". That wouldn't be the first time we have seen a Roadster with mis-mounted wheels. I don't know if it was intentional or a mistake.

17. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Dyslexic Ranger?

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Same car - other side. Wheels definitely mis-mounted.

5788316970_2264b77204_z.jpg

Attached Files:

19. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

No problem with the original sport wheels, they're not sided!

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

But isn't there still a problem with the tire wear or vibration?