Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

directional wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure the wheels are "directional" as in they are designed to only rotate in one direction (there would be arrows forged into the rim itself - I haven't checked this) but they are directional in that they are not symmetrical and so they should all be pointed the same way for aesthetic purposes.

photo.JPG

Last edited:
That's what they look like, on one side of the car they go forwards, on the other, backwards. I'll leave it open as to which is which!

Sounds like you might have gotten two sets of lefts or two sets of rights!

I think the usual mounting has them with the top of the blade pointed forwards (ahead of the bottom).
Notice how both sides of this car have the wheels "chopping" towards the direction of travel:
12457.jpg

776_pano_900.jpg

There was an old picture of VP13 long ago where people comment that the old style forged wheels seemed to be mounted backwards (wrong side wheel.)
Perhaps later in production they stopped trying so hard to get the correct side wheel on each car?

Old style Left vs Right directional wheels:
dsc00427.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=1869&d=1307041524.jpg

...From the Tesla website: Tesla Motors - safety
"The unique design of the spokes leans clockwise on the right side of the car and counter-clockwise on the left."

Apparently some cars were delivered with all lefts or all rights so not everyone got the advertised orientation.

Attachments

• wheel2.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
Mix/match directions:
5788316970_2264b77204_b.jpg

(Is there a "correct" orientation? It seems early cars usually had the spokes leaning center outwards towards the direction of rotation, and later cars the other way around, but then we have plenty of exceptions.)

Last edited:
On my 1.5 (mid 400s VIN) the right and left wheels are the same. I asked a representative at the Los Angles store about this last Fall (after the car was over a year old) and was told that the early cars had different left and right wheels, but Tesla started using the same wheels on both sides.

By the way there are a number of makes and models of vehicles which do have different right and left wheels, such as the early 1990s Lexus LS400. On the Lexus, the wheel is marked R or L.

That's what they look like, on one side of the car they go forwards, on the other, backwards. I'll leave it open as to which is which!
Hmm. Both sides of mine are definitely pointed forward. Note that I have the 1st Gen forged wheels on my 2.5. My wife liked the older wheels better (weren't as shiny) and Tesla swapped them for us.

So, they have two different wheel designs for the same car (clockwise and counter-clockwise) Isn't that a bit unusual?

When I first saw EP1 at what was then Tesla HQ (before the 2006 unveiling), Martin Eberhard remarked that since the wheels were all being machined individually, it was the same cost whether the wheels were the same or different designs. The difference is aesthetic only, not functional.

Maybe the "lefties" can meet up with the "righties" and they can do a 1/2 swap to get two sets worked out?
I wonder if there is a forum member with the same black wheels as SByer but the opposite twist?